Thread: Which Condom catheter to use

Which Condom catheter to use

Hi all,

I typically urinate normally with some pushing on the bladder. I have an overseas trip coming up and will need to be away from accessible bathrooms at least for parts of the trip. I typically use a condom catheter in these situations. But I have found them to kinda of irritate the skin from the adhesive. And taking them off can be quite painful. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for someone like me? any ideas would be good! I'm a t7 incomplete btw. Thanks!

E
    T7 Incomplete from 1989

I use Uro drains. Single sided gray foam strip that wraps around the outside (slightly snug,1 1/2 overlapping wrap). I gently put white athletic tape over that, so the foam strip doesn't come off. I leave them on for two days normally, but have had one on for over a week (stuck in the woods). I've been doing it like this for 37 years after a lot of experimenting. You must keep an eye out for strangulation. T6 complete.

bump
    T7 Incomplete from 1989

You should always use a skin barrier wipe or spray under the condom catheter. This both protects your skin, and helps with adhesion. I recommend the 3M Cavilon Skin Protective wipes for this.

When removing, it can be helpful to squeeze an alcohol wipe into the interface area between skin and adhesive, and do this as you gently roll the condom catheter down your shaft.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

than kyou for that info, is there a condom Catheter that is not adhesive?
    T7 Incomplete from 1989

Quote Originally Posted by emanshiu View Post
    than kyou for that info, is there a condom Catheter that is not adhesive?
    I’ve been using Rochester ( recently purchased by Bard) non latex, non adhesive external catheters for about 15 years and like them a lot. I agree with SCI nurse re: using skin barrier.

https://www.exmed.net/p-2059-bard-ro...-catheter.aspx

Condom catheters which are not adhesive are pretty readily available. Adhesive only became a feature in the late 1980s. Back in the 1960-1970s we used to make our own out of non-lubricated regular latex condoms and latex tubing. Many men who use the non-adhesive condoms use either an adhesive 2 sided strip or paint-on adhesive to make them stay on best.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I use the Rochester Natural without adhesive. I do not use a strap or anything because of the suction created. I have used for about 8 years and no problems. They do come with a strap.