Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do aluminium frames oxidise.

I am betting the 20 year old chair was a Quickie TI and the new a Quckie Helium. Am I correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Ive had one particular titanium wheelchair for 20 years, and apart from a few scratches, there's no discoloration or any form of degradation. The other titanium wheelchair I use as a daily I've had less than a year has nuts where screws go thru the frame to hold the footplate in place and they are covered in rust holding on for dear life. I'm not impressed at all. the 20 year old wheelchair came from the same company as the 1yo chair. But a change in company ownership has proven to be bad for consumers.

Yeah! I have a 20yo Ti chair. I've cut back on dropping off curbs. I love this chair! and don't want to stress it.

I also have a 15yo Ti TRC (titanium/twin tube) that cracked big time where the seat back feeds into the chair. I hated the damn thing!

I also got a new aluminum chair last year. It has those ~1 1/4" tubular caster mounts that suck! One has broken/worn a hole in my rocker panel aero of my 2015 GTI. It also has fucked up any number of furnitures.
    Stupid!!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Yeah! I have a 20yo Ti chair. I've cut back on dropping off curbs. I love this chair! and don't want to stress it.

I also have a 15yo Ti TRC (titanium/twin tube) that cracked big time where the seat back feeds into the chair. I hated the damn thing!

I also got a new aluminum chair last year. It has those ~1 1/4" tubular caster mounts that suck! One has broken/worn a hole in my rocker panel aero of my 2015 GTI. It also has fucked up any number of furnitures.
    Stupid!!

this was my ti lite cracked both side they gave me a new 1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

lol nah both are RGK Hilites, built 20 years apart.

A decision has been made I'm going to maintain & modify the old wheelchair. It has been good to me. Selling the newer ones. keep an eye out on ebay lol.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

When I fix it up I'll post a pic of it and the newer one together. willing to bet you'll have a hard time telling the old from the new.

"The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

I'm not a pusher but if I was, I'd look at aluminum as being repairable. Titanium requires a special environment/cabinet to weld and most machinist don't like working with it.
    Titanium and carbon fiber are being marketed as exotic materials that are being applied in areas not really needed.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    what is the wall thickness of that tubing?

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    what is the wall thickness of that tubing?
    From the image there does not appear to be any welded in insert for reinforcement and integrity. Nor is it double butted or reinforced at that stress zone.
    Just another mediocre, cost cutting production method that puts us at risk of injury at worst and downtime at best.
    My Catalyst 5 cross braces were the same shitty production method. When they fractured simultaneously, I was in a situation that enabled me to avoid injury.
    The old braces were round section, the replacement cross braces are elliptical but still the same expedient, shitty manufacture. A hole drilled for the pivot bolt that relies on the wall strength of the thin tubing and no insert to avoid crush.
    I have an incomplete early Ti where every hole is reinforced with a tube insert. When I find a back for it I will be putting that chair back to use.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    My TRC has the same spiral crack in the same place. Who'da thought!! We're twins!!

AND, IMO very poor engineering! That bracket has a moment of about twentyfold. I push on my back pretty hard and often. Twenty times that force is a lot to ask of a short tube that already has stress risers there the way they hinged it! IMO, basic framing must be designed to never fail over a lifetime of expected use!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    My TRC has the same spiral crack in the same place. Who'da thought!! We're twins!!

AND, IMO very poor engineering! That bracket has a moment of about twentyfold. I push on my back pretty hard and often. Twenty times that force is a lot to ask of a short tube that already has stress risers there the way they hinged it! IMO, basic framing must be designed to never fail over a lifetime of expected use!
    till I got the new 1 we took 3 hose clamps on each side and tighten them down