Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nylon material to match wheelchair

Nylon material to match wheelchair

Anybody have an idea where I can source some simple nylon material similar to that of a standard wheelchair sling back. Nothing fancy just all black and roughly the same thickness/durability.

i just ordered a third party back and anticipate needing to modify it.

also btw TiLite air breatheable backs are trash. Mine is worn out and it?s not even 4 months old.

Blog Entries
    I've bought this from Joanne before

https://www.joann.com/rip-stop-nylon/xprd560961.html

Works.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

These folks probably have what you need.
    https://www.sailrite.com/

The nylon covers for my lateral supports for my old Invacare rigid back rest wore out and were no longer available. Cordura is extremely abrasion resistant and I bought mine from the website listed above sailrite.com, while many others are available. Just Google cordura. You can get different colors and durabilities, based upon anticipated use. Most have a minimum purchase size.

Ripstop is good, though lighter than cordura. If you are going to have the material covering a hard projection, such as a lateral, then you may want to go with cordura. There are different weights of ripstop as well. I would not go with very light ripstop as it is quite thin. Looks like most backrests are made out of some type of cordura.

The trick will be finding someone to do the custom sewing. I find the best bet is to cut paper or cardboard templates of the exact shape you need for the person to lay on top of the cordura and cut the correct shape.

Don't forget to replace any Velcro patches that may be required to hold the object in place.

When shopping for fabric like this, check the denier of the fabric (usually designate by the initial D). Denier is a unit of measurement that expresses fiber thickness of individual threads or filaments in fabric or textiles.

https://www.enwild.com/videos/fabric-denier-explained

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Blog Entries
    Since denier is about individual threads, also consider gsm (grams per square meter). A high denier can still have a low gsm, meaning the weave is not very dense, so often won't be as strong/stiff as a high gsm of a lower denier thread. A general rule when buying nylon measured in gsm is 1 gsm = ~11 denier (though they are technically measuring different things, this works out in abrasion resistance testing to be mostly accurate most of the time. Having both gsm and denier info is best when shopping to know what you'll get, of course!)
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Anybody have an idea of roughly what denier or gsm the back panel of a regular stock standard tilite sling back is?

Blog Entries
    It's pretty low. Like 25-35 GSM at best. Very low denier as well because the individual threads are tiny. Just guesstimating based on some TiLite upholstery I have compared to the 64GSM nylon I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    It's pretty low. Like 25-35 GSM at best. Very low denier as well because the individual threads are tiny. Just guesstimating based on some TiLite upholstery I have compared to the 64GSM nylon I have.
    Surely not 30 gsm, right? Maybe you mean 250 -350?

I have some really thin paper that you can practically see through that I use with my fountain pen and that is 52 gsm.

The lightest cordura I could find on the above website was apx 350 gsm (9ish ounces per square yard)

Blog Entries
    I'm comparing my TiLite upholstery to some light weight 64gsm ripstop nylon I have on hand (wife made a rain poncho out of it) and the TiLite stuff seems lighter. I dunno just eyeballing it really. Cordura is a very heavy and dense weave of cotton and nylon, mostly cotton, and even heavier than denim. It's very tough stuff and would probably work better than 100% nylon. 30-150 gsm is considered lightweight nylon. The heavy stuff is 350+. The skin on this upholstery seems very thin. Not comparable to paper really, beauty of 100% nylon is strength to weight, but yeah it's thin. It's definitely lightweight thin (150 or less) IMO, but maybe not 30. Seems lighter than the 64 to my hand though. Cordura is definitely a good choice.