Thread: Problem voiding urine

Problem voiding urine

I am a 53-year-old male C4 quadriplegic, and have been injured for 33 years. I have a sphincterotomy, which generally works well for me. The last several weeks, when I am up in my chair, I don't pass any urine. I have a tilt, and recline power wheelchair, and I try reclining, etc. and it works minimally, sometimes I will void maybe 200 ML. I also have a high profile Roho cushion, I've used these types of cushions for over 25 years. I've tried tying down different cells of the cushion, but that does not seem to work either. When I go to bed, almost immediately my leg bag will have 400 to 500 ML before I even switch it to the overnight bag. Half-hour later I will have another 400 in the overnight bag. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

What you are experiencing is that your urinary system is blocked or rather positional while you are sitting up
    when you are lying extended out there is no barrier to urine output. I had a patient who sat in a manual wheelchair that tilted his pelvis backward and he was unable to spontaneously void with his sphincterotomy. He had to change the seating angle with the wheelchair vendor.

pbr
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What you are experiencing is that your urinary system is blocked or rather positional while you are sitting up
    when you are lying extended out there is no barrier to urine output. I had a patient who sat in a manual wheelchair that tilted his pelvis backward and he was unable to spontaneously void with his sphincterotomy. He had to change the seating angle with the wheelchair vendor.

pbr
    thank you for your reply, much appreciated. Did he have to change the seating angle forward or backward? I have a fully tilt and recline power chair, but I can't seem to get much output, even when I lay flat in my wheelchair. This has all happened relatively recently, I've had scopes that have verified over the years the sphincterotomy was still wide open. I've heard maybe enlarged prostate could be the problem.