Thread: No transportation

No transportation

I've been doing bed rest for almost 6 years. During that time, when I had doctors appointments, I called a local ambulance service to take me to them. I few weeks ago, I called them to take me to my urology appointment but was told that they no longer came to my area. I rescheduled the appointment for tomorrow but when I called the other transport place today, they told me that insurance (medicare and medicaid) had not been paying lately and that I would have to pay them upfront and then if insurance paid, then I would be reimbursed. That's $800... I don't even receive that much each month in disability. My van is 30 years old and I don't trust it to drive around the block, let alone a 20 mile interstate trip. and that would mean sitting on my butt with a fairly serious skin tear at the moment.

I was told that I might be able to get a preapproval done but that takes 2 weeks. I rescheduled for February 25 but I don't know if I'll be able to keep it,

If I can't afford a new van or ambulance service, how do I get to my appointments... I don't really have an alternative. What am I supposed to do?

Look into Medicare advantage. They offer rides to medical appointments and other services not offered by original Medicare.

Your county may offer special transportation services if you are not able to use public buses. But you probably have to be sitting up for that.

Ask your doctor.

I don't have an answer but am shocked you would be charged $800 for one trip. That is crazy. Maybe if you planned all of your appointments for the same day and rent an accessible van. That is going to cost anywhere between $100-150 a day, the last I knew. It is still an expensive option though. Good luck.

we have a senior citizen transportation here 10.00 48 hr notice look at ur county I would think they have it 800.00 is wrong but they get away wth it

Have you considered researching visiting physicians for your area?
    My husband and I are both patients of one of these services. They have provided many in-home services over the past year including chest X-ray, ultrasound, echo cardiogram, flu shots, in addition to monthly or bimonthly check-ups.
    This past year my husband had a nasty skin sore and they arranged not only nursing visits, but also had various bandages and medication sent to our home. He did have to go out to a wound clinic bi-weekly, but the home nurse came weekly. I don't know if they provide transportation - we use our adapted van.

The doctor and nurse travel over a pretty wide area, so you might Google "visiting physicians" for your city or the closest large one if you wish to look into it. They accept regular insurance, along with regular co-pays. I believe you would need to be 'mainly' a homebody to qualify, but I'm not really sure.
    The organization we use is Visiting Physicians Association - they are located in I believe about 10 states, but there are similar providers in many states.
    If you decide to pursue this I hope you post your experience here as I'm interested in the whole concept of visiting health care particularly for folks with disabilities who have difficulty getting out.

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    we have a senior citizen transportation here 10.00 48 hr notice look at ur county I would think they have it 800.00 is wrong but they get away wth it
    That is a pretty average rate for ambulance transport. In a big city, you might find a gurney transport service for less, but probably not in a rural area. I believe the OP needs to be transported laying down, not seated, and I don't know of any medical service or paratransit service that provides that.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I found a place that will do a preapproval of the trip before anything happens so I don't have to pay upfront. Although its not guaranteed to set up the ride. My dad found a used ambulance stretcher that I can get for free. If all else fails I could try and get my van in running order and find a way to lock it down. Anyone else done this?

Perhaps a gofundme could get me a new van. Anyone ever successfully done that? Only need about $50,000 for a Ford Transit and new lift.

Do you really need a brand new van? Adapted vans depreciate rapidly, as soon as they leave the lot. Lots of used, low mileage vans available for significantly less money than that. Check Disabled Dealer and eBay.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Do you really need a brand new van? Adapted vans depreciate rapidly, as soon as they leave the lot. Lots of used, low mileage vans available for significantly less money than that. Check Disabled Dealer and eBay.

(KLD)
    Unless the roof is raised real high, I can't get in. Mine had raised roof and doors and I still had trouble getting in... but I will check for one.

Have you ever heard of someone traveling with their own ambulance stretcher? I balked when I first heard the idea but now I'm seriously wondering about it.

rollix van they are pretty good and will del I would think you could get a used a fix ur way

https://www.rollxvans.com/

https://www.rollxvans.com/wheelchair...icle_id=49109B