Thread: Pseudomonas bladder/kidney infection and looking for context.?

Pseudomonas bladder/kidney infection and looking for context.?

For over 15 years, I've had active colonization of Pseudomonas, and it has always been my nemesis. I've been able to avoid IV treatment for about five years, although I've had multiple other urinary infections from other bacteria, but it Pseudomonas that has been my greatest fear.

The primary care has been overprescribing and jumping the gun, and I've been willing to succumb to taking abx bc pain; I'm now in a position where I had to decide upon IV treatment or see if my body can Fight with supplements.

I know I have about 30 minutes with my current pain medication regimen wears off, which is a short time, but still, I have this time to think.

Usually, the doctor doesn't put it on me, but all of my current tests scream infection as well as symptoms. I don't understand the reticence to prescribe IV when I am exhibiting such symptoms. I think I'm on a thin line and don't want to cross over to sepsis.

urinalysis showed:
    positive nitrates
    large leukocytes
    82 WBC (my usual is <4 and 10, so this is sky-high)
    protein in urine
    100,000 culture

Current symptoms:
    - burning in the urethra, suprapubic stoma, ureters and kidneys (treating with azo/ mild opiates)
    - weakness = falling over difficulty holding up forks to eat and navigating a wheelchair
    - slight chills
    - bladder spasms (which I never get) with pain throughout the night (lidocaine
    - fatigue without the ability to rest because pain wakes me up
    - slight delirium ? although I'm well aware when things I see are not necessarily real. Just minor luminous hallucinations and floating between hypnagogic states
    -having a hard time finding words that I usually find in seconds.
    - severe burning neuropathic pain in legs that only CBD/THC
    - heightened levels of distention
    - Low blood pressure
    - average temperature (although I never get the temperature with UTIs for some reason

When I write this out, it seems very clear that I should get medical daycare and set up home care. I just never had a physician be so slow on making the decision and putting it on me. I've had the same infectious disease doctor for over ten years and not generally like this. Usually, if Cipro doesn't cut, I get a call right away. This time I had to wait a good 48 hours. Although medicine is changed a lot as well and the system seems clogged at the moment.

Man ? spinal cord injury/disease is so complex, and I know I'm getting curveballs left and right as well as everyone I know. Not sure if this is similar for other people and how they handle stronger infections. I've noticed that my health care team has never been worse. It seemed like everyone is either overworked or working part-time and overwhelmed. I.

80% sure I'm probably going to the hospital tomorrow, but if any nurses have the context to provide, I am open. I know tomorrow is my last day before the ability to get home care set up is available; otherwise, I have to go to the ER for the weekend if things keep trending worse.
    /End of ranting

Have you had recent studies to rule out any urinary stones? Prostatitis? Both are common reservoirs of pseudomonas bacteria.

It would appear that you do not have pyelonephritis, which would be a condition for putting you on big gun IV antibiotics in the absence of fever. What were the results of your C&S (not the UA which you have listed). What was your blood WBC count?

It takes 48-72 hours to run a sensitivity test.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've had an ultrasound and CT with contrast within the last six months.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    I've had an ultrasound and CT with contrast within the last six months.
    Have you been evaluated for prostatitis?

Perhaps you should have a repeat ultrasound. Stones can have developed since you were last tests.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I have not been evaluated for prostatitis. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a stone – but maybe didn’t come up on diagnostic imaging.
    The pain levels overnight were skyhigh and I’ve had to throw everything at my body just so I could mellow it out enough to catch a little more sleep. Usually Dash if I have burning in the whole bladder area, the urethra and stoma to the point where I wanna rip the thing out of me or creepy in another part of my body$; there’s not much room for me to rule out anything else.

What I don’t understand is the infectious disease doctors lack of response time end thank you my body will be able to fight this on its own. The pain is driving me insane.