Thread: When do you let them know....

When do you let them know....

Hi community,

This question may already have been asked, but I just want to get your thoughts: at what point in the interview process do you reveal your "obvious physical disability"? Is it at the start (maybe with the first conversation) to get it out of the way, or do you wait and surprise them at the first face-to-face interview, or does it vary based on your feel for the company? I just want to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    You don't. It's a protected trait. It's no more a "surprise" than your age or gender or religion. It only becomes relevant after you've been hired and their legal obligations for reasonable accommodations comes into play.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

This is tricky, as often a job interview question is about what physical requirements there are for the job (such as standing, lifting, etc.). Employers are allowed to ask you if you can perform these activities, and if you cannot, you can ask if these are "essential" requirements of the position, or if reasonable accommodations will be made for them. The physical requirements should be part of the posting of the job description, before you apply.

They cannot require you to reveal what your disability is (such as SCI, MS, etc.) and it would be wise to not offer this information.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I'd definitely assume that if no specific requirements are stated in the job description - there's no need to tell about it at all unless the issue comes up.