Thread: 4K Video card upgrade

4K Video card upgrade

Can anyone look at these specs and tell me if I can add a 4K video card to my computer?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

It wil struggle. The capture system requires a high compresion ratio so your I3 can handle sucking the 4k footage to your hard drive. But the act of compression will have a toll on your CPU also. Your RAM is gonna be a bottle neck also. Have you tried capturing 1080? I would be surprised if your system could do 1080 let alone 4K.

AVerMedia says the minimum spec for handling 4K video is a Core i5-6xxx and above processor and a GeForce GTX 1060 and above, though there's no reason why it won't work on an equivalent AMD setup. Dropping down to 1080p means a Core i5-3xxx and GTX 650 or Radeon R7 250 is sufficient.Sep 13, 2018

Review: AVerMedia Live Gamer 4K (GC573) - Peripherals ...

https://hexus.net ? tech ? reviews ? 121787-avermedia-live-gamer-4k-gc573

I tried to get the size of the font in the quote above to be the same size as my text but couldnt.

Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

I've not used it for gaming. Its been my HTPC for 10 years, but for the most part it has been used for DVDs, streaming HBO, Netflix and youtube.

If this one isn't capable of handling 4K, can you recommend a motherboard/processor replacement. I'm going to upgrade the hard drive to store blu-rays as well.

But keep in mind, I'm on a budget... lol

what kind of monitor are you using? Is it a 4k monitor?
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Blog Entries
    That is for running a 4K capture card in addition to a GPU, and capturing a 4K video stream, not merely outputting 4K to a monitor. Using hardware acceleration in a GPU (which significantly offloads CPU) to decode and display 4K on a capable monitor is quite possible on the i3-530 in the specs below. They even added built in CPU hardware encoding to the later i3 (Kaby Lake architecture). CPU only really matters using software decoding which really isn't how things have been done for 5-6 years.

So, to answer the OP question about simple 4K video playback: Yes, that system is fine, provided you add a GPU video card with H.264 (or higher) based HW video decoding. Any of those will do, provided you have the proper PCIe slot available, enough room in the case to accommodate the large form factor of those GPU cards, and have enough power supply to run it with the appropriate power connector (often an 8pin, you can get 6 to 8 pin adapters if all you have is 6 pin plugs coming out of your power supply.)

edit: GPU cards like the older GeForce GT/X 750ti or 1050, etc. Shouldn't need to spend more than $100, but some of the older cards are over priced now from the bitcoin mining market wanting them. You could probably find an old 750ti for $50-$75 if you looked. But really just look up some of the old benchmarks for h.264 or h.265 decoding when it came out and see what cards they were using. Those will be older and less expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    It wil struggle. The capture system requires a high compresion ratio so your I3 can handle sucking the 4k footage to your hard drive. But the act of compression will have a toll on your CPU also. Your RAM is gonna be a bottle neck also. Have you tried capturing 1080? I would be surprised if your system could do 1080 let alone 4K.

I tried to get the size of the font in the quote above to be the same size as my text but couldnt.

Last edited by Oddity; 01-15-2020 at 10:38 AM.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    what kind of monitor are you using? Is it a 4k monitor?
    a 4k tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    That is for running a 4K capture card in addition to a GPU, and capturing a 4K video stream, not merely outputting 4K to a monitor. Using hardware acceleration in a GPU (which significantly offloads CPU) to decode and display 4K on a capable monitor is quite possible on the i3-530 in the specs below. They even added built in CPU hardware encoding to the later i3 (Kaby Lake architecture). CPU only really matters using software decoding which really isn't how things have been done for 5-6 years.

So, to answer the OP question about simple 4K video playback: Yes, that system is fine, provided you add a GPU video card with H.264 (or higher) based HW video decoding. Any of those will do, provided you have the proper PCIe slot available, enough room in the case to accommodate the large form factor of those GPU cards, and have enough power supply to run it with the appropriate power connector (often an 8pin, you can get 6 to 8 pin adapters if all you have is 6 pin plugs coming out of your power supply.)

edit: GPU cards like the older GeForce GT/X 750ti or 1050, etc. Shouldn't need to spend more than $100, but some of the older cards are over priced now from the bitcoin mining market wanting them. You could probably find an old 750ti for $50-$75 if you looked. But really just look up some of the old benchmarks for h.264 or h.265 decoding when it came out and see what cards they were using. Those will be older and less expensive.
    Thanks for the information!