Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urologic supplier?

I have been using Summit Express Medical Supply out of Kings Park New York for over 6 years now and I have never had a problem. They call me every month to see if I need to reorder. They take what my insurance company (Federal BC&BS) pays as full payment. I highly recommend them.

info@summitexpressmed.com

Blog Entries
    180Medical always did right by me. Never any issues or late or missed shipments. Monthly email to confirm shipment. Even worked with me on an out of pocket deal so I could have more than the Medicare allowable # of extra supplies on hand (sold me a few months worth at a very nice discount).
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by gps View Post
    You can also find the answer you are looking for with great information
    and tips from our members for most, if not all online dealers above in
    the Sticky forum Good online dealer here
    Some of that information is outdated though. Note that the thread was started in 2011.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

My current urological supply situation has me a bit pissed off (pun intended)
    I was led to believe since my accident, (or just misunderstood) that catheters would not be covered by my insurance so I was supposed to wash and reuse them. I have been doing this for the last 21 years without too much trouble with uti's. I could make a box last long enough that paying out of pocket for them was not that big of a deal.
    Fast forward to a few months ago seeing a new urologist we were discussing my bladder management and they were shocked to learn that I was washing and reusing. They were able to get me covered for enough each month to not have to reuse, however there is a specific supplier that I have to go through mandated by the insurance company.
    Until my deductible is met, I pay out of pocket. This supplier seems to be charging me double what I can get them for elsewhere. Are there any techniques I might try with the insurance company to be able to use another supplier and have what I pay count towards my deductible? I'm sure there are probably all kinds of games being played with the price agreements the supplier has with the insurance company, and I will meet the deductible eventually, it just seems like this is one more example of why costs keep getting more and more out of control.

My recent experience with 180Med was horrible. They purchased Willmington Med Supply and two months in I get a call from them saying that my Ins will no longer pay for the closed system I have been using for the last 15 plus years. They would send me some straight catheters to try and all that would be paid for is the catheter itself. They said the only way my Ins would cover my closed system is if once off of them I met the new qualifications for the closed system. I was beside myself and at first, took everything they were saying a face value. Then I called my Ins company and they said that they would continue to cover my catheters that I had been receiving and that there was some issue with 180med not wanting to use the billing code that had always been used and that as long as the company used the same billing code they would continue to pay. The Ins company gave me some suppliers to call and the new company said no problem as soon as we get documentation from your doctor we will ship your catheters and they did and have been paid. 180med would have had me using straight caths and most likely getting infections. Before I went on the closed system no matter what I tried I seemed to get an infection every month. I do not know what is going on with them but I will never be a customer. I use ABC Medical now and so far I think they are great. I really did not understand the billing code thing but when I was trying to tell them what was going on they seemed to know exactly what was going on and what the problem was and was confident they would have no problem if for no other reason the length of time that I had been using the closed system. Do not mean to hijack here but when I saw 180Medical I had to put this out there

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I know some people who use and are happy with these companies:

https://www.180medical.com/

https://www.sportaid.com/urological/

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Fusion Medical in Essexville Mi is great. They call me each month like clockwork, send supplies next day. Big box of candy each Christmas. Company is owned by quad who is a very active quad rugby player. He sponsors regular tennis exhibitions where newbies can learn to play. He also has a supply of handcycles and organizes regular bike rides in season so people can try out the sport.
    I will second this, they are a great provider

I used ABC Medical (formerly Southeast Medical) and have been pleased. Orders are always delivered on time and they are happy to work with insurance to get you the right price.