Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about reinserting catheters....

Question about reinserting catheters....

When my urine becomes cloudy and thicker, (usually because of an UTI) I have a caregiver who will take the cath out, hold it up to let the urine drain into the bag then reinsert the cath back into me. I've expressed that doing so probably isn't a good idea. He's asked why. I've mentioned it probably could add to chances of infection. He's asked how. My only response at the time was "For the simple fact that you've inserted the cath and have touched other things, then you're touching the cath again to reinsert it." He responded with I'll ask a doctor.

Question is, am I just being way overly paranoid?, or is there any truth in my reasoning?

Thanks

Are you talking about indwelling catheters (like a Foley)? If so, you are correct. Any indwelling catheter inserted should be used once only, and removal and reinsertion should only be done with a new sterile catheter. Reuse of indwelling catheters significantly increases your risks for urinary tract infections, as doing so pushes the biofilm on both the internal lumen and exterior surface of the catheter up into your bladder. This is in addition to the bacteria transmitted from the persons hands, linens, or other objects that the catheter is allowed to touch.

In addition, we now know that indwelling catheter balloons should never be inflated or "tested" before insertion, as this can create microtrauma to the urethra or stoma. Since an already used catheter has had it's balloon previously inflated, this would also put you at risk in this way, with the long term consequence of increasing your risks for either false passages or urethral or stoma stricture.

If your catheter is clogged, it is much better to properly irrigate the catheter, generally with sterile normal saline solution and a sterile irrigation syringe, than to use the method that you have been using.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

14fr catheter to be exact

Quote Originally Posted by jaemc View Post
    14fr catheter to be exact
    Straight catheter or indwelling?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I agree with nurse KLD other than "never inflate the catheter balloon for testing". I have been doing self cath for over 40 years with very few infections. Prior to that I had a Foley that had popped the balloon after insertion and a part of it stayed in the bladder which was not fun in getting out, it was too big of a piece to go through the catheter. After that, every balloon was tested before insertion and we came across another one that popped. Never had a problem with microtrauma!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I agree with nurse KLD other than "never inflate the catheter balloon for testing". I have been doing self cath for over 40 years with very few infections. Prior to that I had a Foley that had popped the balloon after insertion and a part of it stayed in the bladder which was not fun in getting out, it was too big of a piece to go through the catheter. After that, every balloon was tested before insertion and we came across another one that popped. Never had a problem with microtrauma!
    You have no idea if you experienced microtrauma. By definition, it is not detectable by the patient or the one inserting the catheter, but research done and published at least 10 years ago in multiple studies has show that pre-insertion testing is NOT recommended, especially in silicone, silicone-coated, or Teflon coated catheters.

Defects in the catheter such as you describe are extremely rare, and examination of the catheter upon removal to see if the balloon is intact should be done. If it appears that in the extremely rare case that residual balloon is left behind, it can easily be removed through cystoscopy by your urologist.

(KLD)

straight in and out about every 4-5 hrs

I have an umbilical stoma to access my augmented bladder. Occasionally, I will have difficulty getting the catheter to access the channel once the catheter tip is inside the stoma. It is possible, though I don't think it is my situation, that the stoma needs to be reconstructed (revised). Rather, I will withdraw the tip of the catheter and reinsert it, though it does not touch anything and I do not touch the tip before reinserting.

Quote Originally Posted by jaemc View Post
    straight in and out about every 4-5 hrs

I still would not recommend the procedure your aide is using. If the catheter is clogged, irrigate it and then you can drain the rest before you remove the catheter.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You have no idea if you experienced microtrauma. By definition, it is not detectable by the patient or the one inserting the catheter, but research done and published at least 10 years ago in multiple studies has show that pre-insertion testing is NOT recommended, especially in silicone, silicone-coated, or Teflon coated catheters.

Defects in the catheter such as you describe are extremely rare, and examination of the catheter upon removal to see if the balloon is intact should be done. If it appears that in the extremely rare case that residual balloon is left behind, it can easily be removed through cystoscopy by your urologist.

(KLD)
    Since I've been away from a Foley catheter, I have done somewhere in the neighborhood of 82,307 self cath's so I guess that makes me one of very few that have escaped
    microtrauma, unless something happens the next time I do it? And you state so casually that the balloon residual
    can easily be removed through cystoscopy by your urologist. It may be easy for him/her to do but certainly not easy or pleasant for the patient to accept!
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!