Thread: Peristeen New User with Concerns

Peristeen New User with Concerns

I'm starting a new thread on Peristeen to address my concerns. I know that there are many threads and that's the issue. Most are really dated and I simply don't have the time to read through them all to see if my concerns were previously addressed.

I'm just shy of 30 years post SCI with a T6 complete due to GSW. For almost the entire time of my SCI life I have used Magic Bullet with fair success. Early on, I could wrap things up in about an hour and change but most recently... When I go in the bathroom, you can expect not to see me for two to three hours.

I recently received my Peristeen kit and have been using it for about two weeks with less success than I had anticipated. I thought things would be great like the person in the animated video from the company. My results have been less than that and I'm concerned. Maybe this is just not for me. I almost always wind up with an "incomplete" feeling. And based off of whatever I had to eat previous and the amount of water I pumped in during the process... The results were just not "done". I would have to use a magic bullet after all to finish.

In the last couple of days I decided to go off script and try something. I would start with checking the "chamber" to make sure there was no ammo present and insert the magic bullet. Instead of waiting the 15 to 30 minutes for it to activate, I gave it about 10-12 minutes and then I introduced the Peristeen. Within less than a minute to about 2 minutes I found the most success thus far. Almost completely empty. I would then follow up with some digital to clean out any stragglers.

I know this is not what was prescribed, but that other way simply wasn't working. Maybe I just need to let me body acclimate to the Peristeen method. But I'm getting frustrated. Also I recently read where @SCI-Nurse stated that the system was not recommended for SCI persons because the stretching of the bowl walls could result in incontinence. I'm fortunate enough to not have had any problems with that in almost 30 years and I shudder to think that I could inadvertantly cause it at this stage in my life.

If anyone has any advise or thoughts on this, I would love to hear from you. Thank you for reading.
    Last edited by mikeinbmore; 01-06-2020 at 04:01 AM.
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

I think your current method sounds just fine. I can't think of any downside.

My Dad is a para L3 and after many trials with Peristeen (and using a lot more water volume than they recommend), he never had good results from it. So he gave up on it. Suppositories don't work for him either, unfortunately.

It certainly was not from this SCI-Nurse that you got information that the Peristeen system is not appropriate for people with SCI. It was developed for, and has been used for many years by people in Europe with SCI, and I have never seen any research indicating that it increases either bowel accidents or "overstretching" of the colon.

Your method of using a Magic Bullet to bring stool down into the lower intestine before evacuating it with the Peristeen sounds like a good plan to me. Keep us informed about how you progress with longer use of this program.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    It certainly was not from this SCI-Nurse that you got information that the Peristeen system is not appropriate for people with SCI. It was developed for, and has been used for many years by people in Europe with SCI, and I have never seen any research indicating that it increases either bowel accidents or "overstretching" of the colon.

Your method of using a Magic Bullet to bring stool down into the lower intestine before evacuating it with the Peristeen sounds like a good plan to me. Keep us informed about how you progress with longer use of this program.

(KLD)
    After finding an re-reading the comment, I stand corrected. It was said that there was concern that using the Peristeen was like using an enema which was not recommended for individuals who have a neurogenic bowel.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=1#post1774159

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinbmore View Post
    Aft
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinbmore View Post
    After finding
    i have not been around for awhile but i may be of some help here
    i use these https://store.independenceaustralia....erile-25000295 $10 in aus
    have done for 15 yrs, 50 yr old c5 quad, we dont much around, i use a microlax enema 1st(5ml) bit like a bullet i guess, over the loo, wait 10 min (if im lucky) do a check & remove whats there if possible, then hit it with about 500-750 ml just warm water.
    hose up about 3 inches, use 3 quarters of the water, then digitally release the water straight away, & hopefully you'll get a niagra falls type effect, whoosh" & its all gone, do another check to be sure (im anal about it) & make sure waters out, use the remaining water or more if necessary, once you get it down pat, its a 10 min job, admittedly, i have carers & they do it, but it sure beats waiting 30 mins, really you dont even need enemas or bullets, you can just do this. i do it everyday, just in case, some days i miss for up to 4 days, but i dont panic about it.
    survivor of beijing oeg transplant

Quote Originally Posted by philquad36 View Post
    (im anal about it)