Thread: Funny Antenna story

Funny Antenna story

When I got my first HDTV in 2004, I thought I needed to buy a really good antenna, so I paid about $40 for one at Crutchfield (where I bought my TV). I hooked it up but didn't get any channels. I returned it and bought an even more expensive ($100) one from Circuit City. I still didn't get any channels and so I returned it. The next day I realized that when I had plugged those antenna's in, I never scanned for the channels (I felt pretty stupid). I remembered having an old bowtie antenna from back in the 80's and I decided to try it out. We stuck it in the attic window facing east and I ended up getting all my locals. I felt relieved that I had returned the pricey ones before doing the channel scan.

Anyhow, when we got HD cable a short time afterwards, I rarely used the antenna anymore. A month or so ago I got rid of my cable box because the bill was ridiculous and I watched more online stuff than I did cable shows. I've been trying to convince my folks to do the same and was looking for a cheap but good antenna that they could use on their upstairs TV. I asked my Facebook friends if any of them had an antenna and how many channels they got. I only had one reply but he has an antenna on top of a hill and gets no more channels than I do.

Now I just need to find another bowtie antenna for my folks to use upstairs ... crazy that a cheap little $4 antenna is all I needed.

The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks... found one on ebay just like mine.

For future reference and for others, website below is good to check what TV stations you should be able to bet.

http://www.tvfool.com/
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

The bowtie works?? WOW.
    I just purchased my first fancy TV however, as far as I know, you need the digital converter box to even get locals. This is here in El Paso and at one point we could get the air channels from Mexico. I should try putting a paper clip into the spot where the coaxil goes ...

Quote Originally Posted by 1010011010 View Post
    The bowtie works?? WOW.
    I just purchased my first fancy TV however, as far as I know, you need the digital converter box to even get locals. This is here in El Paso and at one point we could get the air channels from Mexico. I should try putting a paper clip into the spot where the coaxil goes ...
    Your TV most likely has a built in digital tuner. If you have an antenna, try hooking it up and do a scan for channels. (should be in the manual as to how)

Digital converter boxes are for older tube TVs without digital tuners in them.

I use this website to find my local antenna stations. https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps