Thread: Morphine substitute?

Morphine substitute?

My Son has EGFR mutation lung cancer stage 4. Never a smoker.
    Our health system does not fund the next step medication, Osimerninib(trade drug Tagrisso ) .
    Australia does(?).

His pain has progressed to the point that he has been prescribed morphine 3 times daily.
    Constipation is now his other issue.
    Is there another medication that would afford him the pain relief without the constipation side effect.
    An affordable source for Osimerninib would be nice too.

Thank you.

All narcotics can cause constipation. This medication is for lung cancer and this is an SCI site. Sorry I don't know very little about lung cancer and these drugs. t

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Yes, CWO, I am well aware that it is a SCI site.
    I also know that we do not all live in a compartment marked "X" that defines our whole. I am sure that some of the membership have experience with morphine and other opioids. Also, that they themselves, or those near to them have experienced cancer.
    I am reaching out, NOT blowing my arse to the wind. Do you appreciate my position? Of course you would.
    I am sure that a degree of understanding, discretion and compromise is allowed.
    Does anyone have positive advice that could assist my Son?
    I took him some trimmed whole core pineapple today as I know how the fibre and the enzyme bromelain alleviates any constipation issues that I have at times. Kiwifruit also.
    Last edited by slow_runner; 01-05-2020 at 04:42 AM.

None of the SCI-Nurses are outside of the USA, so are really not good resources for how to obtain any medication, opioid or not, in New Zealand. is your son being following by a hospice or palliative care team? They are experts in pain management as well as in symptom management, including constipation related to opioid use. If he is not at this time associated with such a team, I would urge you to find a team to work with him.

You may also find this recent article on opioid related constipation helpful:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK493184/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks Nurse, that link was informative.
    In my urgency to find some alternative for my Son it appears that I have jumped the gun by posting here.
    Can this thread be moved to the appropriate Pain Forum?