Thread: Converting Blu-Ray to a file

Converting Blu-Ray to a file

I currently have all my DVDs backed up on my entertainment PC in uncompressed iso files.

I would like to store Blu-ray's on a hard drive as well but wasn't sure which file type would give me the best picture without using more disk space than necessary.

These would most likely be played on a 4K TV but not 100% certain of that right now.

So, anyone have feedback?

I'm thinking about either building a new HTPC to do all this on or buying a streaming Blu-ray player (possibly a 4K one) with a USB input that I could attach a large HDD of movie files.
    Suggestions?

I used to use Handbrake for this and it had many options for compression and file format. I want to say it was something like .mkv is pretty standard if your capturing closed-captioning.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I currently have all my DVDs backed up on my entertainment PC in uncompressed iso files.
    I would like to store Blu-ray's on a hard drive as well but wasn't sure which file type would give me the best picture without using more disk space than necessary.
    I just finished backing up all of my Blu-rays and Dvds too. Blu-Ray files are huge. They can range anywhere between 20-30 Gigs or more, each. If you want to convert them, you may want to try either Mp4 or Mkv format. Mkv files are slightly larger than Mp4, but mp4 files are more compatible across the board for playing on most Tvs and other devices. I currently have all of mine in Mp4 format and I am happy with that. These files, in mp4 format range anywhere from 500mb to 3 or 4 Gb, depending on the length of the movie and whether or not they originated from DVD or Blu-Ray. I also have the original iso files in case I change my mind.

I'm thinking about either building a new HTPC to do all this on or buying a streaming Blu-ray player (possibly a 4K one) with a USB input that I could attach a large HDD of movie files.
    Suggestions?
    I use the Roku Permiere Ultra to do this. I have a 4Tb external hard drive connected to it and I use the Plex app to organize my files and stream them to my tv. You can also play the movies directly, if you do not want to use the software. I haven't tried a bigger drive yet on the Roku, so I don't know if there is a limit to the size drive that can be hooked to it.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 01-03-2020 at 01:16 AM.

What is the best Blu-ray ripping software? Now that you can get super huge hard drives, I want the best quality possible.
    I currently have my DVDs in an uncompressed iso format (4-6 gigabytes).

What is the best Blu-ray ripping software? Now that you can get super huge hard drives, I want the best quality possible.
    I currently have my DVDs in an uncompressed iso format (4-6 gigabytes).
    I'm confused. What are you planning to do with the files?

If you want to back up all of your files in ISO, you will not be able to simply put all of those files on an external drive and play them as they are on your television. An ISO file needs to be played in a disk player or mounted drive (because it is an exact CD image), or will need to be played with software, such as VLC player. If you want to view those files on your television, you will have to connect your computer to your television and play the image on your computer, then mirror that image to your television. If you are planning to view your files on a PC only, then this will work fine.

If you want to do what I am doing, that is entirely different. I have all of my files converted to a format that is compatible with most televisions and other devices. So I can essentially take my external drive with me wherever I go and plug it into any device for playback with or without a computer. I picked Mp4 because virtually every TV, blu-ray player, etc will play those files. I am using the Roku Premier Ultra because it will support a larger hard drive for playback. Many blu-ray players (like mine), VCRs, and DVD players with a USB hookup will not recognize drives larger than 1 TB. You will also want to look into which file types your particular TV or other devices will support for playback. Some will play AVI files, while others will not for example. I haven't found any yet that does not support mp4, so that is why I chose that format for my needs.

MKV file format is great. It will also support 3D.

How many gigs is a blu-ray quality movie in MKV format? My DVDs are around 4-6 gigs in the ts folders.

How many gigs is a blu-ray quality movie in MKV format? My DVDs are around 4-6 gigs in the ts folders.
    If you back up a movie from Bluray to a mkv file, it will be anywhere from 20-30 Gigs or more. If you take that same file and run it through a program, like handbrake, it will convert that file to a 5-10 GB file (mkv or mp4), without losing quality. Mkv files support things like closed captions, and mp4 files are compatible with more devices. So, the choice you make as to the file type, will depend on your personal preferences.

Basically, you have three choices; keep the large file and play it that way, or convert that file to a smaller size to spare hard drive space, or you can do a combination of both.

ETA: If you decide to convert the large files to smaller, plan on several hours per file before it is finished. I just queue several files at once and let it run over night.