Thread: Handicap Parking

Handicap Parking

Why couldn't something like this be used on the crosshatches for handicapped parking? It might help to solve some of the problem.
    This might also work on some off ramps on the highways to stop wrong way drivers. It would probably be too expensive I guess.

https://youtu.be/I-E8jdfv4mw

Great idea. But what's to stop those things from coming up while the car is on top?

You wouldn't even need several planks to keep cars out of the handicap parking paint. But what's more common is shopping carts.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    Great idea. But what's to stop those things from coming up while the car is on top?
    Good point. Maybe some type of sensor that deactivates it when something is directly over it and only activates at from specific distance away.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post

You wouldn't even need several planks to keep cars out of the handicap parking paint. But what's more common is shopping carts.
    I agree. The shopping carts are a real problem.

They need to put ramp van spots far away from entrances. That way abusers won’t want them. That plus fining doctors who give placards away for no good reason.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    They need to put ramp van spots far away from entrances. That way abusers won’t want them. That plus fining doctors who give placards away for no good reason.
    The ADA requires accessible spots be placed close to the entrance. Putting them far away would often require people to drive their wheelchair through a parking lot, risking getting hit by a car. I have seen this happen often. I agree with the issue of fining providers who sign off on placards/plates inappropriately.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

It is also hard sometimes in the winter to wheel long distances in the parking lots. It makes it harder to get away if a car is heading toward you and the driver can't see you.

I wish there were a law that would make it legal for people who need the extra space to double park anywhere in the parking lots. So many times I see people who don't need the space but park there anyway, even when there is a non handicapped space open the same distance away from the building.

I absolutely agree it's more dangerous to be further away from the entrance, but the option for a ramp van is often double-parking far away or simply going home. So if I have to double-park at the back of the parking lot, I'd prefer it be a ramp fan spot so I don't get towed.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

I'm a fan of rear entry vehicles in order to avoid the issue of where to find a handicapped parking spot. I'm aware people think this is unsafe but, then, life itself is unsafe. They only reason I don't have rear entry is that we are a two wheeler couple and it was not easily workable.
    I think with more thought rear entry safety could be improved by installing appropriate mirrors, audible sensor of some kind to warn if someone's walking by when you want to deploy lift, etc.

and also sometimes it dangerous to use a ramp on hills I refuse to park a lot of places the ramp side down a hills . I have left several place even dr offices as to how there parking lot is