Thread: Thumb pad cushion

Thumb pad cushion

I've been having some hand pain which seems to be coming from the big thumb pad on the palm of my hand. I'm a c6 quad so my hands are fairly atrophied. I'm in manual chair and transfer many times a day (>20). My therapist thought gloves with a cushioning may help. I have found gloves to be bulky and make functioning difficult due to my reliance on tenodesis. Does anyone know of any fingerless gloves with palm cushioning that have rubbery and fit snug?

Thanks,
    Jen

I am experimenting with 6 different brands/models of fingerless wheelchair gloves and one half-finger glove. The only one that's likely to fit your description of lack of bulk and flexibility is going to be the half finger-glove, which is sold as a multipurpose cycling/weight-lifting/wheelchair glove. It's probably not going to be the solution for me since it has an elastic knitted cuff and wants to pull off when braking down steep inclines, and gloves with fingers, even half fingers, can be challenging to get on for those without finger control. It's very inexpensive though and might be worth a try.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by endo_aftermath; 01-02-2020 at 12:32 PM.

Thank you! I will check these out.

A C6 friend of mine uses these from Gloves for Life. She seems to have similar concerns. They might meet your needs.
    https://www.glovesforlife.com/product-information.php

Great, thank you!

These look good, I just ordered. Thanks again!

Hatch gloves are fingerless and you do not have to slip inside like a regular glove. It opens up completely. I have my local tailor sew on two loops of half inch webbing on the top and bottom tabs of the glove to hook your thumb in to remove the glove.

More importantly, I believe they have the thickest padding in the wrist and palm area, especially the palm area. I wish I would've used these for the first 15 years of my injury, when I used basic push-eze gloves, which only started at the wrist. As a quad, the only way I can slow down to my manual chair was to press in on the rims with the wrist area, giving myself minor skin burns, irritation and probably contributing to the compression injuries I have now.

Sounds like you have problems at the carpal metacarpal junction, which is the base of the thumb. My problem is now excruciating, only getting worse and I cannot find a hand surgeon which will take me on for this and other hand problems. They simply do not want to get involved with quadriplegics. You may not want to hear it, but as a quad I would stop doing transfers and get an overhead lift and one can afford it. I would seriously consider stop pushing a manual chair and there are other things as well.

Profound atrophy of the hand muscles only exacerbate this, allowing joint stability to fall more on the ligaments which then gets stretched out and make the basal joint even more unstable.

I would consider getting a thumb basal joint brace to use when not pushing a chair. Driving with a tri-pin also destroyed my thumb joint and now I have to drive with a full thumb spica brace and had to have the tri-pin modified so it would open up enough to accommodate this brace.

But I would see a hand orthopedist to determine whether it is anything else and to determine whether you have a basal joint problem.

Here is a short thumb brace, which, while pricey is pretty nice. You can take it off and on yourself after adding a small loop on the end to allow hooking a finger into tighten or remove.

https://www.alimed.com/bauerfeind-rh...BoCIjwQAvD_BwE

Thank you for this info and sharing your experience. I will look into this brace.

JennyB, after you have some experience with the gloves for life, please post your performance observations. Since I recommended something I've never tried myself, I feel some responsibility. My C6 friend uses them exclusively for hand protection during transfers.

I received my Gloves For Life a few weeks ago and LOVE THEM! They're exactly what I was looking for. They provide cushion which has helped reduce my hand pain when transferring, pushing and lifting for pressure releases. They're also grippy which is good for transferring. I can't wear them for some activities because they get in the way a little but they are quick and easy to take on and off. So I guess I'm very happy with them and I thank you for the recommendation