Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When is it ER time for UTI?

When is it ER time for UTI?

Holidays messed up the schedule, but have all the typical symptoms. Bad looking, smelling urine. Elevated pulse and blood pressure. Temp is normal but just feel ?off?. Sometimes really off, but ibuprofen takes the edge away where I can kind of relax.

Submitted a c&s on Friday, and the results are in, but guess what? My doctors closed...no one can reach him. LabCorp won?t give me the skinny, only my doctor. Chances are he won?t be in tomorrow either...so should I wait til I?m puking and changing color, or should I just go now? Is there a middle ground where I can be safe and wait til Thursday? I know it?s subjective, but would appreciate any help from experience. Cheers and happy new year, everyone

You shouldn't mess around with a UTI. My blood pressure usually drops when I have one, that's when I go and get treated.

Thx, man. I’ve been messing around with it for a couple weeks

I've been able to stockpile a little Cipro. When I think I have a UTI, as soon as I have a specimen, I start taking the Cipro which has always relieved the symptoms and is often what the doc ends up ordering. I have a new primary care guy and I haven't broached the topic, but my previous doc would give me a prophylactic script for it if I asked. I'm pretty sure my current guy would oblige as well.
    Good luck!

PS: if you're nearby, I could give you some Cipro.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Same here stock pile the Cipro if you can I swear those UTI bugs know when the long weekends and Holidays are

Funny you guys say that, cause I already did a 7 day round of cipro. I started a week before Christmas. It settled it down completely for a week. Clean color, smell etc...not as many physical symptoms. But I had to be off it for 3 days (according to my primary) for a c&s. So I did...and it came back with a vengeance. Now I’m officially a week off of the cipro. And my doctor took a few days off missing the culture result. Maybe I’m weird, but if I was a doctor with peoples health in my hands, I’d at least check my messages on days off. He can write the prescription while he’s making breakfast right? Anyways...

Im not dying yet, obviously. But if I feel physically worse, and it’s compounding, I’m gonna have to go. Thanks tho, you guys, and happy new year. Cool gesture of offering, pfcs, but I’m in Cali. Haha...you’d need 10 tanks of gas and a valve adjustment to drop that off chrs

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Same here stock pile the Cipro if you can I swear those UTI bugs know when the long weekends and Holidays are
    Mine certainly know when Friday night comes!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Denied2016 View Post
    .....Maybe I’m weird, but if I was a doctor with peoples health in my hands, I’d at least check my messages on days off. He can write the prescription.....
    I know what you mean, or he could just make a phone call to your pharmacy.

I have discussed this with my doctor. He agrees to keep nitrofurantoin on hand and start it whenever I get symptoms. To take it one step further, he agrees that I should take them only to rid the symptoms and then stop. I know this is against everything you have heard about taking the full course. But we are trying to nip it in the bud and treat symptoms vs a full blown UTI.

I know you were asking about a full blown UTI. But don't let it get that far. I used to do that. I would try to shake it off. Sometimes it would work. But when it didn't work, I would be miserable for days or even weeks.

Today, as soon as I get strong muscle spasms (my first symptom of a UTI) I take just one 100 mg nitrofurantoin pill and I am usually fine that same day. If not, I take one more the next day and I am fine. It hasn't failed me yet. It's so much better this way.

By the way, Cipro is the big gun. I have some on hand. But I save it as a last resort. If the nitrofurantoin doesn't work, I will submit a sample for sensitivities. Then, I will take Cipro while waiting for the results.

You really don't want to pulling out the big guns when a smaller one will work. Cipro can damage your joints. That may have contributed to my shoulder problems. My doctor would prescribe a lot of Cipro to keep on hand (a different doctor, in case you're thinking this guy is going overboard). I used to take too much, IMO. I have heard of people ruining their joints with just one dose. Be careful.
    Last edited by August West; 12-31-2019 at 05:33 PM.

i would call the on call doc as there has to be oe on call for the practice and see if they can look at the results, but if not i would't mess around with it too much longer as you can become septic. Take it from someone who did become septic from a UTI MSSA infection. not pretty i will tell you i was in ICU for 3 days till i stabilized then on a regular floor another week and a half getting iv antibiotics. when i was first in the ER they couldn't get my blood pressure more than 50/30.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009