Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone marrow donation

Bone marrow donation

My sisters (husband) has a very rare cancer. They can't marry or it would totally mess up his medical situation. Anyway, he was talking about not even being able to get on the list for bone marrow for a couple years. It got me thinking if there was anything preventing a quadriplegic from donating bone marrow? I'm sure the odds are low that I could be a match but, but if I were, is there anything that would make it impossible for me to donate?

I tried years ago as a para to donate and place my name on the registry, but was told that spinal injuries do not qualify. I don't remember why. There is also an age limit, I think.

I would think it would at least be worth asking and being tested to see if you are a candidate. Many people with SCI have chronic anemia, and this may preclude you being an acceptable donor, but I don't know what about having a traumatic SCI would preclude you from being a candidate otherwise. It is a very painful procedure to be a donor though, so it would require management of autonomic dysreflexia during and following the extraction procedure.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would think it would at least be worth asking and being tested to see if you are a candidate. Many people with SCI have chronic anemia, and this may preclude you being an acceptable donor, but I don't know what about having a traumatic SCI would preclude you from being a candidate otherwise. It is a very painful procedure to be a donor though, so it would require management of autonomic dysreflexia during and following the extraction procedure.

(KLD)
    Painful how and where? Where do they acquire bone marrow? If its below my collarbone, it wouldn't matter too much aside from AD, which could be controlled by meds.

----------------

I just read that it comes from the pelvic bones, so I definitely wouldn't "feel" it. I'll read more on how to get tested, thanks.

As a young otherwise healthy para they let me sign up to be a bone marrow donor. I think I was 28 at the time. No one ever told me SCI was disqualifying, and they had me do a DNA test so I assume they weren?t going thru the motions just to not hurt my feelings. I?ve never been called to donate in the decade or so since then however.

https://bethematch.org/support-the-c...al-guidelines/

i see nothing here to suggest that SCI alone precludes bone marrow donation

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Painful how and where? Where do they acquire bone marrow? If its below my collarbone, it wouldn't matter too much aside from AD, which could be controlled by meds.

----------------

I just read that it comes from the pelvic bones, so I definitely wouldn't "feel" it. I'll read more on how to get tested, thanks.

Yes, it is usually harvested with a bone punch/large needle through the large bones of the pelvis, sometimes the femurs. Your body will definitely have pain, so AD should be anticipated and medicated for during and following the procedure. Testing for you to be a candidate is done through a regular venous blood draw.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Last edited by Sugarcube; 12-28-2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Double post lol

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    https://bethematch.org/support-the-c...al-guidelines/

i see nothing here to suggest that SCI alone precludes bone marrow donation

I don't either. Interesting. All I can tell you is that there was a young man in a town near me that was looking for donors. It was posted in the newspaper with a number to call to donate. So, I called it. I told the woman that I had a spinal cord injury and she told me that I didn't qualify to donate. She was rather nasty, like I was wasting her time and should have known. After reading this I am going to look into it again. The young man I knew lost his battle. This might help someone else. If I am allowed this time, it is sad because who knows, I may have been able to help someone in the time that has passed.

I have never made a bone marrow donation but I have had bone marrow biopsies, as part of the diagnosis and monitoring of my leukemia treatment. The aspiration was from my femur and I felt nothing and had no AD reaction.