Thread: Where are my mp3's

Where are my mp3's

I took the hard drive out of my busted laptop and installed it in a portable case. So I plugged it in my new laptop and only system files are showing. Any idea why 1000 plus mp3's are not showing up.
    Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
    Bob Seger

It would be helpful to know what operating system and playback software you were using on the prior computer, as well as how you imported the mp3s into that software and if possible how the hard disk was formatted. Also, what operating system are you now using?

Quote Originally Posted by ejl10 View Post
    It would be helpful to know what operating system and playback software you were using on the prior computer, as well as how you imported the mp3s into that software and if possible how the hard disk was formatted. Also, what operating system are you now using?
    Windows 10 with Winamp. "as well as how you imported the mp3s into that software"? I would open Winamp and select only one single folder at a time. "if possible how the hard disk was formatted" I don't understand that question at all. NTFS 64?
    Bob Seger

Perfect context. Where on the disc do you store your MP3s? I'm wondering if it might be a permissions issue (e.g. the location is now effectively hidden in a secure user account). Any trouble seeing any other types of files? Like documents that were stored under your user account perhaps?

JOY! I don't know why this didn't work the first 2 times I tried. Third time lucky.

D:\Users\Administrator

Hit continue for the third time and it finally let me access my whole music collection.

Time to get a 90 gig plus thumb drive. Double back up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    I took the hard drive out of my busted laptop and installed it in a portable case. So I plugged it in my new laptop and only system files are showing. Any idea why 1000 plus mp3's are not showing up.
    When I have backed up mine in the past, I used a IDE/SATA to USB adapter plus a power supply to hook it up to another PC. Then you should be able to access your files like you would with an external hard drive through windows explorer.

*never mind......glad to see you figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by tvot View Post
    JOY! I don't know why this didn't work the first 2 times I tried. Third time lucky.

D:\Users\Administrator

Hit continue for the third time and it finally let me access my whole music collection.

Time to get a 90 gig plus thumb drive. Double back up.
    Great to hear - best possible outcome!