Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foley and leg bag trial, what am I doing wrong?

My pharmacy gives me a pair of leg bag tubing extensions each month and I only use one. I've found that the extras are handy!
    You can stick the male end into your leg bag to get it up to a urinal when you can't find an accessible stall. You can shoot it out of the car door when you need a pit stop.
    I put a couple in both our cars as well as a pair in my wheelchair accessory bag.
    PS: you can plug multiple together making a real long hose if you're determined enough

I don't know the number of my big latex leg bag, but it holds a little over a liter. Really freed me up about needing bathrooms all the time!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

A larger leg bag if not to add or change to overnight drainage. If it is full, it will not drain and you will get leakage. CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Ok, bad ending...

I am asymptomatic when it comes to Uti's, so I never know, until I start peeing blood.

So, on Saturday morning, the next day after I posted above, I woke up to peeing blood. I could've donated this stuff it was so bloody. Went to a full service Urgent Care place near me. They were all "oooohhhh that's not good" when they saw the full red specimen cup. :-)) They did a quick dip test and of course it came back positive. On Bactrim waiting on C&S results. We leave Friday for the next trip, a long planned cruise with 4 other couples, so this needs to clear up.

Good news; today I am peeing urine with just a tinge now and then, Bactrim is at least keeping it at bay.

I'm still trying to figure out where I went wrong. I did a sterile approach to insertion, and I never removed the leg bag until I removed the foley. Got me real leery of trying this again, but man, the number of caths I will need to take with me is mind boggling. Decisions decisions...
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

hey jerry out of laziness i havent read the whole thread but have you tried a condum cath thats what i use when im gonnabe out drinking or away for a bit
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

McDuff,

I use 5cc in my foley and have not have any problem with slippage.

I use Urocare 32oz oval leg bag. Very flexible even when maxed out and never had one leak after repeated use. I swap out my two bags every three months. I used to use Bard vinyl bags which would begin to leak after only a few uses where I pushed max capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    hey jerry out of laziness i havent read the whole thread but have you tried a condum cath thats what i use when im gonnabe out drinking or away for a bit
    You cannot wear a condom catheter with an indwelling urethral catheter in place. I believe the OP is leaking around his urethral catheter.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I've got a tight sphincter which makes for a lot of pressure, I've shot pee like 2ft up and out, on the rare times I happen to "miss" my timing by mere seconds doing an intermittent cath. From all I've read here and others, having big back pressure can be bad for kidneys, so I've never gone with the condom style.

Thanks though for the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post

KLD,

Any idea how long an infection has been active, to get to the peeing real blood stage? I had the foley in for just under 5 days, just wondering if maybe I had something brewing beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    KLD,

Any idea how long an infection has been active, to get to the peeing real blood stage? I had the foley in for just under 5 days, just wondering if maybe I had something brewing beforehand.

No, there is no standard for this. One would also need to know if the bleeding is from the kidney or the bladder as well. Hemorrhagic cystitis is most commonly the cause. We often recommend a cystoscopy following treatment for the UTI to rule out bladder cancer as a cause.

(KLD)