Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foley and leg bag trial, what am I doing wrong?

Foley and leg bag trial, what am I doing wrong?

In preparation for an upcoming fun trip, where there will be drinking involved , I am trialing a foley and leg bag setup as my bladder has shrunk over the years, and I'm afraid I won't keep up as I require frequent cathing nowadays.

So I have been wearing one with a leg bag for two days and two nights, just took it out this morning because on both nights I've woken up with a soaked chuck under me.

First night I left the leg bag on my leg and attached a night bag behind it and just opened the valve on leg bag. In the morning the leg bag looked vacuum sealed, so I figured that stopped urine flowing, and it then went out around the foley and out penis.

Night two, I just used the leg bag and hung it over the side of bed with some support so weight wouldn't disconnect it possibly. Had some urine in it, but the pad was soaked too.

I used 15cc of the 30cc supplied syringe, is that reasonable? My bladder is small anyway so didn't want to fill too much. I normally use a 14fr Cath, and am using a 16fr foley.

I have a foley securement strap on my leg, and give a slight tug at night to make sure the ballon is up against the wall, there are no kinks or bindings anywhere.

Both days up in my chair worked just fine with no leakage, and had plenty of urine thru out the day, so it must be positional somehow. What am I doing wrong?
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

You may be irritating the bladder with a big balloon?
    I have a suprapubic and my Foleys take 10cc; there have been conversations here about running less (than 10cc) when this is a problem.
    More qualified will come along soon I hunch.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Aww crap, looks like operator error. I looked up the details on this foley, it says it is a 5cc balloon. Not sure why the insertion kit comes with a syringe with 30cc of solution pre-filled. I thought I was being conservative, based on the syringe amount, rather than the foley details.

Thanks pfcs49. Gonna give my bladder a couple days of rest, then try again with 5cc.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Aww crap, looks like operator error. I looked up the details on this foley, it says it is a 5cc balloon. Not sure why the insertion kit comes with a syringe with 30cc of solution pre-filled. I thought I was being conservative, based on the syringe amount, rather than the foley details.

Thanks pfcs49. Gonna give my bladder a couple days of rest, then try again with 5cc.
    \

To clarify: I inflate with the full, 10cc amount. Others have experienced bladder irritation and tried less (which make it easier to pull out)
    I would try 10cc first and see if that fixes it; 30 is a lot more than 10. Next time, before insertion, see how big 30 and 10 and 5 are.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I used 15, not 30, that's why I thought I was being conservative. I did put the 15 back in after I removed it just to see, it was pretty big. It seemed to be a bit lopsided, one side was bigger than the other at 15, wasn't centered around the tube. Maybe that made for the positional problem, as it wasn't supposed to be that full.

Sure don't want it to pull out, decisions decisions. Good idea, I'll do a 5 & 10 inflation to see how it looks before insert.

I inflate my balloon with 10cc, that's what comes with the foley/insertion kit. You really shouldn't be installing and re-installing the same catheter, but that's just my opinion.

You should not leave the leg bag on your leg at night. Disconnect the straps and lay it flat on the bed. Connect the night drainage bag to the end and be sure to hang it off the side or foot of the bed. Be sure there are no dependent loops in the night drainage bag (loops of tubing that hang below the level of urine in the bag).

For a 16 Fr. Foley catheter with a 5cc. balloon, you should be filling the balloon with 10cc. of sterile water. If you are using a silicone catheter, you should check and refill the balloon every few days, as water will leak through the balloon into your bladder and slowly deflate. If you are using a 16 Fr. catheter with a 30cc. balloon, you should fill it with 30cc. of sterile water, and the same applies for silicone catheters as above.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Rustyjames, thanks, your inflation seems in line with others, so will go that route, guess I have the wrong insertion kits, these must be for the 30cc balloons. Oh well, just extra juice. I will not be using the same foley after extracting, I bought a few just in case, I'm hoping I can get it down well enough to just leave one in for the week then resume IC when I get home. Will be taking spares for emergencies.

KLD, thanks. It is a silicone foley, so I will keep an eye on it. It is a 5cc ballon, so will try the 10cc route. That first night, we did loosen the straps but not take completely off, but the fact that it was completely vacuumed closed(had to grip front and back sides and pull them apart to get air in it again), worries me about this setup. We did have the night bag on the floor, so gravity should have helped.

Things like this is why I am trialing it all out ahead of time.

Thought I would update this thread:

Took a 5 day 4 night trip to my sisters for a surprise Bday party. As the trial run for an 8 day trip coming up, I was anxious for getting the foley working right. But it went surprisingly well. Filling the balloon with the correct 10cc solved the majority of any leakage issues. New Years eve was blowout party, and reached down once to check the bag, and it was bustingly full, glad I caught it in time. Guess I had "an overflow" leakage caused by back pressure.

Amazing what an extra 5cc can do to disrupt sealing.

I found a plastic orange juice bottle that fits in my underseat pouch that I used to drain the bag. It only holds 12oz so gotta watch out when draining.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Get a Hollister 9805 leg bag and you'll be good for quite a few cocktails before you need to empty.