Thread: Camera in my room?

Camera in my room?

Do you think it's going too far to put a little IP camera in my room? Does anyone else use some other ways to deter caregivers from stealing?

It's your room so I don't see any problem with it.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, and if you're having issues, then put them all around not just your room. I'd really like some new external lighting and cams, myself. Not so much inside, it no reason not to.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

We got cameras for several rooms in the house when I first returned from the hospital. We didn't know what to expect with caregivers, and wanted to be on the safe side. Turns out we haven't had any problems, but that doesn't make it a bad idea.

unfortunately, cameras don't deter criminals. if you have hidden cameras you may be able to catch them in the act.

the best thing to do is remove the opportunity to steal. keep money, docs with ssn numbers, jewelry, and pills in a locked safe. only have out 1 week of pills at a time. lock off areas of the house (other bedrooms, office, etc) the caregiver should not be in.

This is what we did. My father's den was our locked room. Financial records, blank checks, expensive jewelry, etc. were kept here, and my father kept the key on his person at all times. Our PCA contract also spelled out the areas of the home that the PCAs had access to; and it specifically excluded guest bedrooms, and the den.

You can get fairly inexpensive "nanny cams" that are disguised in toys or knick knacks.

Always do a background check and check prior employer references (you will be surprised how many people fake these who have a criminal past) and make any job offers conditional upon these coming back with good (ideally glowing) recommendations.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I had to buy a security camera after I suspected one of my CNA's of stealing my pain meds. I never caught her stealing meds with the camera but did catch her stealing money. I was totally shocked and bummed, she had been working for me for about 4 years and was the last person I would suspect of stealing, but there you have it. After that, I started keeping most of my meds and small valuables in a safe, you can get a decent one for under $50 on Amazon.
    Dan G. in CT