Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most/best maneuverable indoor power chair ???

Most/best maneuverable indoor power chair ???

Turned 60 this year. After 38 years in a manual chair, I got a Bounder chair. It is great for outdoor stuff. Way too big for indoor maneuverability. Got that through Workmen's comp insurance.

Now I need to get an indoor power chair to get into my bathroom which is 90? turn from 42" wide hallway. Medicare said they will buy me one.

Also need to use it in the kitchen where the stove & are 48" apart in parallel. Looking at a front or mid-drive chair.

What works best driving up to a toilet? What's best for the side-to-side action of cooking?

TIA,

Kevin

I've tried all configurations.

For me, Front Drive does it all, indoors, outdoors, street, and some tight 90 & 180 degree turns thru doorways in my home.

Center drive (aka, indoor chair) are OK but negatives out number positives. They have very slight (near insignificant) smaller turn radius verses Frnt Drv.
    MD = tracks more dirt in home, 4 casters twist on carpet (added wear and stretch to carpet), front casters hit doorways, get stuck outdoors, etc.

When aside things (counter, sink, stove, wall), a MD has 2 more casters than FD (that's 1 more per side that will swivel around and hit whatever your aside when you move away).
    These extra casters also add more "jerk/jump" when swiveling around (this is important when holding a bowl of hot soup).

Again, this is just my 2 cents environment.

Get a good cushion and all power seat functions Medicare will allow. Seat Elevate, basically no insurance covers. Nice to have if $1500 out of pocket doesn't hurt to bad.
    If you have no supplemental insurance, be ready for the 20% you'll owe ($3k - $6k depending on chair).
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

My insurance paid for seat elevation. Medicare probably won't but at least try it from a safety point of view.

Being eye level to things on a hot stove or grill is dangerous. Also, elevated down hill transfers minimize stress on shoulders.

The guy who did my eval said they would never pay for it. I said they `absolutely wouldn't pay for it if we didn't try.
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."

Agree with Gearhead. I've had front and midwheel drive. Feels like I can get just a bit closer to things with front wheel drive. Minimal difference in turning radius.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I've tried all configurations.

For me, Front Drive does it all, indoors, outdoors, street, and some tight 90 & 180 degree turns thru doorways in my home.

Center drive (aka, indoor chair) are OK but negatives out number positives. They have very slight (near insignificant) smaller turn radius verses Frnt Drv.
    MD = tracks more dirt in home, 4 casters twist on carpet (added wear and stretch to carpet), front casters hit doorways, get stuck outdoors, etc.

When aside things (counter, sink, stove, wall), a MD has 2 more casters than FD (that's 1 more per side that will swivel around and hit whatever your aside when you move away).
    These extra casters also add more "jerk/jump" when swiveling around (this is important when holding a bowl of hot soup).

Again, this is just my 2 cents environment.

Get a good cushion and all power seat functions Medicare will allow. Seat Elevate, basically no insurance covers. Nice to have if $1500 out of pocket doesn't hurt to bad.
    If you have no supplemental insurance, be ready for the 20% you'll owe ($3k - $6k depending on chair).
    Medicare will pay for seat elevation you just need a good ATP that knows what they are doing!!

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    Turned 60 this year. After 38 years in a manual chair, I got a Bounder chair. It is great for outdoor stuff. Way too big for indoor maneuverability. Got that through Workmen's comp insurance.

Now I need to get an indoor power chair to get into my bathroom which is 90? turn from 42" wide hallway. Medicare said they will buy me one.

Also need to use it in the kitchen where the stove & are 48" apart in parallel. Looking at a front or mid-drive chair.

What works best driving up to a toilet? What's best for the side-to-side action of cooking?

TIA,

Kevin
    I would look at a Permobil f3 front wheel drive will get big casters that mid wheel have and give a great ride in tight areas...

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    Medicare will pay for seat elevation you just need a good ATP that knows what they are doing!!
    Can you share the specifics that a good ATP would perform vs a bad ATP? Some of them just need to be told how.

You can get that F3 without those tiny front casters but your feet will still take up space even with the footrest folded up. Wonder what a rear wheel drive would be like.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

For a 42" hallway with a 90 degree turn- front wheel drive.
    4xquad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    I would look at a Permobil f3 front wheel drive will get big casters that mid wheel have and give a great ride in tight areas...

I was in manual for 35 years and went to power chair. Have been satisfyed with F3 permobile. The elevated seat is life changer, you'll love it. I took the small front casters off and can get closer to things and am not hitting things with them.
    nd can

Like many had all types FWD, MWD/CWD and RWD chairs. With that being said I rather have FWD, especially indoors in close quarters.
    Remember to keep in mind the widest part of your chair when figuring clearance for doorways, special attention when doing 90 degree turn in 42" hallway. Had that problem before but lucky a spare bedroom was across from bathroom right in front of bathroom door, Was able to go at angle into bedroom and then straight shot into bathroom. Bathroom door was removed but had wall and counter in way of going into it at angle.

BTW: Had 2 H-Frame Bounders years ago, Great chairs and very strong. Had few problems was if you hit door frame, well door frame disappears. Raise footplate, well to close to something them that something is turned over or messed up. Pluse weight, my second one was after I'd turned over in a lite weight and wanted solid. Got the heavy duty Bounder weight upgrade which DME said bought weight of chair and batteries up to about 500lbs. Rough on lifts and portable ramps.
    But, Bounders are "GREAT!" and built like a tank. I never ever felt any worry of turning one over!