Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most/best maneuverable indoor power chair ???

I'll remove my tipper wheels and bracket soon. The F3 is more rear heavy than any other chair I've had. Tried to make tippers touch, braking down ramp. Can't make 'em touch.
    The rear heavy bias has one slight negative effect, rear casters are a little jerky. Not a big deal when your aware of it.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

I have a F3, and am curious what the benefits of removing the tipper wheels are? Don't your footrests extend beyond them anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by landrover View Post
    I have a F3, and am curious what the benefits of removing the tipper wheels are? Don't your footrests extend beyond them anyway?
    I'm hitting doorways with mine (more than a C300). The bolt/axle that holds wheel to bracket, the bolt head sticks out just enough for the head to clip the door frame.
    I have a few door frame trim boards that I've knocked loose because of the axle/bolt protruding about 1/4" past wheel. That doesn't sound like much but it grabs trim.
    Removing complete tipper assy will narrow the front a little. Then drive wheel can hit door = softer impact and hopefully less often.
    Have to remove drive wheel to access tipper bracket bolts. Not a big job, I'm just lazy these cold/wet days.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Thanks for the info and feedback. I like functionality over form. FWD with two less casters appeals to me.

I should have mentioned the weight issue. I am 315 lbs. Thoughts on HD FWD?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    Thanks for the info and feedback. I like functionality over form. FWD with two less casters appeals to me.

I should have mentioned the weight issue. I am 315 lbs. Thoughts on HD FWD?
    I looked it up and found F3 and F5 are both rated for 300lbs. Might need a talk with DME and/or research more.
    I'm sure an HD option is available.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    Medicare will pay for seat elevation you just need a good ATP that knows what they are doing!!
    When one meets an ATP for the 1st and you tell him you want seat elevation and he or she tells you its not going to get approved...thats not a good ATP!

Some are just lazy and dont want to do the extra work to prove need!

Why are you all removing the caster front wheels because the footplate still sticks out past the wheels?

My daughter has an F5 with those little tipper wheels in the front. Makes sense for her chair because she uses the standing feature often so she can't remove them. That said....if had an F5 or F3 -without a stander- she would absolutely want them removed. Even though they don't extend past the footplate they do interfere in certain turning situations or pulling under some tables.....some support piece seems to hit them quite often and when that happens that is as close as she can get to the table you know?

The sides of her front casters show all the times they have interfered...they are super scraped up!

If you're satisfied with the accessibility of your manual chair (and it has an axle-tube like most crip manuals), a ZX-1 power add-on is great!
    Excepting the arms (which are easily removed or turned inward), it resides inside the profile of the chair it's paired with, leaving you with two chairs in one!

You can detach it on the fly and be off in your manual chair. Inotherwords, you can throw it on the passenger seat if you need to go out.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    Why are you all removing the caster front wheels because the footplate still sticks out past the wheels?

I removed mine a few days ago. Haven't hit a door jamb since. Pulling up to kitchen sink at an angle, I can reach faucet easier. Has nothing to do with chair forward facing cabinets.
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)