Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assisted living communities. Does Utopia exist?

Many senior communities who offer tiers of care often require that residents are completely independent when they move into the community. I am touring facilities with a friend whose husband will need memory care shortly. Except for memory care units, which are usually separate from the rest of the community, in these facilities, most everyone we have toured have this initial independence requirement at move in. Save yourself some time, and make the independence requirement your first question.

Quote Originally Posted by mthomson View Post
    I'm 56 and a C6/7 Quad. I've grown weary of Indiana winters and would like to relocate somewhere warm. I currently live alone in my own home and pay aides to help with up/shower in the morning and down at night. I've got some $ and my SSD income on top of that. I'm envisioning a condo type community with aides and a la cart services available.

I get along independently during the day and enjoy the freedoms of that.

I'm most definitely not talking about a nursing home type scenario.

Does anything like this exist?

thanks in advance, mark
    You presently find enough aide support and this seems to be people's biggest challenge going forward. I have read of numerous assistive living situations where, the moment you need intense care, they no longer want you. I would be very careful believing any of their promotions, especially when you cannot visit. Crips in CA are now facing nursing homes as their only choice because they cannot find carers, so yes, take a long time to investigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    You presently find enough aide support and this seems to be people's biggest challenge going forward. I have read of numerous assistive living situations where, the moment you need intense care, they no longer want you. I would be very careful believing any of their promotions, especially when you cannot visit. Crips in CA are now facing nursing homes as their only choice because they cannot find carers, so yes, take a long time to investigate.
    Great advice and thank you.

Mark

Assisted living is something very different from intense care. I think a lot of people misunderstand the difference.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete