Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Warm Winter Getaway

Fountain Hills is 30 min east of that area and Sedona hour and half north...

Message me more then willing to help you all if you come to Phoenix in March!

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Went to a Costa Rica resort a few years back, it was "fairly" accessible, but anything outside it was pretty tough, had to roll down the streets in the city because the sidewalk had like an 8" curb and no cuts anywhere.
    Where in Costa Rica? When I visited there in 2018 I stayed in a nice resort in the Fortuna/Arenal area that was fully accessible; even a lift for the pool. I happened to be assigned to an accessible casita, and it had a non-platform bed and a roll-in shower, accessible sink in the bathroom, and was close to the single level accessible dining room/restaurant. I think they have improved their accessibility in most tourist areas significantly in the last few years.

This is where we stayed: https://www.arenalmanoa.com/

The interior of in the mountains and upland valleys in Costa Rica are cooler (but still warm) than the coast, with fewer insects as well in the rain and cloud forests. Beautiful country, lots of wildlife. I would not stay in San Jose though...too much traffic and congestion.

Lots of American and Canadian ex-pats in Costa Rica, and many rent out their houses/condos when they are not in the country.

Another area in Latin American you might want to look at is the Pacific Coast of Mexico, including Puerto Vallarta and Zihautanejo. Lots of ex-pats who own vacation condos which they rent out when not there.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Other places to consider:

In the USA:

• Palm Springs/Palm Desert area (Palm Springs Film Festival is in January annually)
    • Hawaii: The big island and Kauai (since you have already been to Oahu and Maui)

For cruises:

• LA or San Diego to Florida through the Panama Canal. Just came back from a 15 day on HAL: no tender ports, and most of the ports on the Pacific side.
    • Round trip from San Diego or LA to Hawaii
    • Mexican Riviera (Pacific Coast) out of either LA or San Diego; most are 7 day, but there are a few longer (10 days) which take you into the Sea of Cortez.

You mentioned Sedona in March. It can still get pretty cold there in March...sometimes even snow.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I looked at a place called Go Wheel the World that do accessible vacation packages with tours and accessible accomodations. They had a great itinerary for Costa Rica and Fortuna/Arenal was one of the stops. Looks amazing. Also, on Cory Lee's blog he used a specific tour company that we may ask about as well. Thanks for the info!!!! What does ex-pat mean?

Quote Originally Posted by NebrFarmer View Post
    What does ex-pat mean?
    expat = expatriate, slang usually used to describe Americans, Canadians, or often Europeans who retire or move to a foreign country, some part-time (often "snow birds") or sometimes full time. Technically, it means a person who lives outside their native country.
    (KLD)

I'm sure they have improved things since I went back in 2008. We flew into Liberia airport in Costa Rica, for a family reunion setup by a relative who is a travel agent, so though I was "taken into account" I was not the driving force, but she worked hard at it. She had setup for a Greyhound size bus, with a lift system and door, meet us. When we opened the door and lifted me up, there was a row of seats with solid armrests bolted to the floor in the door opening, no chance in hell of getting in. Luckily we had enough big nephews and brothers to hoist me up and over the seats and into the bus, then haul my chair in. Good thing I wasn't in a power chair.

This was pretty much the level of "accessible-ness" I found everywhere there. Some things were put in place, but the whole flow was never thought thru.

We stayed in a resort called Paradisus Playa Conchal on the Pacific northwest, which now shows as owned by Westin, but wasn't back then. My accessible room was a nice room, but getting to it was fun, there were huge curbs everywhere(big rains) and no cuts near the room so roaming by myself meant long hauls.

There was only small towns near it back then, and they were not chair friendly at all. The Resort had no accessible transport so family had to help me butt scoot up the steps of the small transport bus, and help hoist me into a seat.

If it would have just been wife and I, I'd have gotten on the first plane back.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Where in Costa Rica? When I visited there in 2018 I stayed in a nice resort in the Fortuna/Arenal area that was fully accessible; even a lift for the pool. I happened to be assigned to an accessible casita, and it had a non-platform bed and a roll-in shower, accessible sink in the bathroom, and was close to the single level accessible dining room/restaurant. I think they have improved their accessibility in most tourist areas significantly in the last few years.

(KLD)
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Second time going to Havana Cuba in February 2020.
    In 2018, I have spent 25 days in Feb/March in LaPradera Clinic special place for SCI and some other disabilities;
    As this clinic is little bit pricey for me, I have rented private accessible apartment for my 2020 winter refuge.
    This place is relatively close to LaPradera and I will go there to gym for exercise as outpatient.
    I will stay alone (C6 Quad) and my Cuban friends, (great people I met on my trip 2018) will help me with nursing, food etc.
    wish me luck
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine