Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: passing out

When I was using it, I took 5 milligrams once per day, at breakfast. And your understanding of the name is correct.
    GoodRX has ninety 5-milligram tablets for about $47. It was usually less through my insurance.

How long does it take to kick in, 30 mins, 1 hr, etc?

This happens to me often in my shower chair because I do not have my compression socks or binder on. a quick solution is to have your caregiver lift your legs up in the air, usually I have them lift it above my hips and it helps raise your blood pressure up quickly.

Earlier this year back in January I was in the hospital with the UTI, sepsis and pneumonia! They had put me on midrodrine which jacked my usual 90/60 baseline up to around 130-140/100+ sometimes the 1st number would go past 140! Although it be in that high I never got dysreflexi, thank goodness for that.
    C4 incomplete since 1985

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    How long does it take to kick in, 30 mins, 1 hr, etc?
    I'm not sure, but when I took it as little as 15 minutes before going up in the standing frame, it seemed to prevent low BP problems.

I got a prescription for 2.5 mg today, which I will start tomorrow, once per day before getting out of bed. If I was in the hospital and confined to bed, I would discontinue the midodrine. The precautions say that it can cause excessively high blood pressure when lying down and not to take it within four hours of lying down or even taking a nap.

My blood pressure crashing wakes me up or wake up with really low blood pressure, take a pill and go back to sleep. Will take 10 mg or bite one in half for 5 mg. One time and the hospital or ER they had me with 5 L IV fluid and four pills and it didn't help.

With the autonomic dysreflexia from the pain caused by movement. It's a very tricky game to play.

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I do take baclofen, tizanidine, gabapentin, and Ambien (the night before). Midrodrine is used for the treatment of orthostatic hypotension. I wonder if it can be used just in the morning only.
    Yes, many people take their Midrodrine once daily; best 30 minutes before getting out of bed. I also recommend that you wear a binder in the shower. Have one that you use just for this purpose. You might also want to look into a reclining shower/commode chair. I have had good success with this one: Aquatec Ocean E-VIP Shower Chair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT28FsIJmKY

Do you also routinely wear compression hose? Most people find that correct fitting knee-highs help with their orthostasis.

When you start to feel woosey, have your aides tilt back your chair, and if possible lift your legs above your heart level. A tilt-in-space seat works best for this (rather than a reclining back). They can also push very hard on your abdomen at the umbilical level with both hands, holding the pressure as hard and as long as possible.

Unfortunately, those with problems with orthostatic hypotension often find that they have more problems as they age, and some will also have essential hypertension which confounds treatment of both.

I would go easy on the salt supplements. You are not hypotensive because you are hypovolemic, and excessive salt intake can actually increase your risks for heart and kidney disease as well as essential hypotension. For this same reason, if you do go to the hospital, they should not be treating you with volume expanders (like IV fluids) as this can cause fluid overload and is unlikely to elevate your blood pressure. Instead, vasopressor drugs such as dopamine can be used for the most serious episodes.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

I started 2.5 mg of midodrine one week ago, taken either 30 or 60 minutes before getting out of bed in the morning. It wasn't elevating my pressure significantly and I still was crashing quite significantly once I got lifted into the chair, though I haven't passed out since the last time.

I think I will need to go up to 5 mg to get me to the point where the inevitable orthostatic crash/dramatic decline won't put me at risk of passing out.

That happened to me until I start drinking 16 ounces of water before getting up to shower chair. If I get dizzy now it's rare and slightly and my caregiver raises my legs a minute.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer