Thread: Hard versus soft manual backrest

Question Hard versus soft manual backrest

Hey folks ?

I've been using an 6 strap adjustable Ti-lite backrest for years (10+). However as it ages it stretches out and last week My six week replacement collapsed ( to adjustments twisted as I leaned back to stretch out) . This placed me in a very dangerous situation. I bent my back over the mid thoracic placement that had sunk probably three or 4 inches.

Nonetheless ? I was wondering if anyone has found a highly adjustable backrest that can be adapted so that it almost feels like it's solid. My posture is degrading and I think this is due to the nature of the equipment.

Quick thoughts?

I've never used these but the Tarta backrest appears to fit your description https://www.tartadesign.it/en/tarta/models

I believe rigid backs are the way to go for preserving postural health. Sling backs, even good ones, do not do as good a job as a rigid back. That being said, there are several on the market. I don't know how tall a back you need, but some things you want to look for would be lateral contouring (some brands have minimal to deep) and a hinge point to accommodate the change between lumbar and thoracic curves.

all backs really suck imo, ive tried them all except the tarta. over the years i think we just get more uncomfortable unfortunately
    i currently have the agility on one chair and the CF Matrx on the other. the matrx is the best i have found.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Hey folks ?

I've been using an 6 strap adjustable Ti-lite backrest for years (10+). However as it ages it stretches out and last week My six week replacement collapsed ( to adjustments twisted as I leaned back to stretch out) . This placed me in a very dangerous situation. I bent my back over the mid thoracic placement that had sunk probably three or 4 inches.

Nonetheless ? I was wondering if anyone has found a highly adjustable backrest that can be adapted so that it almost feels like it's solid. My posture is degrading and I think this is due to the nature of the equipment.

Quick thoughts?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have a Corbac and like it.

Chaz19,

Regarding "... anyone has found a highly adjustable backrest ... almost feels like it's solid ..."

The "almost feels like it's solid" portion of your question suggests that you're seeking a back that is not solid. If this understanding is the case, then an option similar to your TiLite back is this one which; here, has no known case of catastrophic failure. However, note that what you said about your present back - "for years (10+) ... as it ages it stretches" - is true for all backs having a construction that relies upon non-solid materials in tension.

If the "almost feels like it's solid" portion of your question was not intended to preclude solid backs, then the Tarta referenced by clk55pete looks like it may be a solid option (pun intended ), but it has never been used or tested here.