Thread: Anyone use Spinergy TC Stainless Steel Handrims?

Anyone use Spinergy TC Stainless Steel Handrims?

Anyone use these new Spinergy TC (Tactical Control) Stainless Steel Handrims?

How do you like them?

How is the grip with the rim being knurled "Tactical Control" weighing 365gms/rim compared to titanium satin/brushed rims at 295gms/rim.

These have a Vicker's hardness of 138 compared to titanium satin finished Vicker's hardness of 348 and about $150 more for the titanium.

Any input welcomed on these new SS-TC rims.

Ti
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Do you have the specs (weight and hardness) of the standard aluminum push rims? I’mcurious as well about these new steel ones, when I got my new chair a few months ago I first noticed they were an option.

Blog Entries
    That info on aluminum would be fantastic as well. Next time my tires are off I'll take the rings off and weigh them. Can't hardness test them though. Takes special equipment. One of my knife making buddies might be able to though. He has an HRC test rig. My money is on them being lighter and softer than either steel or titanium, given the atomic weights and properties of the materials in question.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

How do you like them?

How is the grip with the rim being knurled "Tactical Control" weighing 365gms/rim compared to titanium satin/brushed rims at 295gms/rim.

These have a Vicker's hardness of 138 compared to titanium satin finished Vicker's hardness of 348 and about $150 more for the titanium.

Ti
    I have a set of the Spinergy TC rims on my extremely lightweight Spinergy Carbon Blade wheels, which are my everyday push. I have neither a rave nor rant about them. I got them a few years ago just to try out. Gven the relative pain it is to swap handrims I've left them on.

It's not been my experience that the knurled surface enhances the power of the push stroke. It's possible, even, that its layered surfacing requires slightly more forceful gripping because there's less surface area making equal pressure with your hands.

One absolute positive is that they look as unblemished today as when they were first put on. Overall I would not say that they're anything revolutionary.
    Last edited by stephen212; 12-17-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post

How do you like them?

Ti
    I had a set, can't find them now. As you know I buy used and they came on a pair of Spinergys. I am not a fan of metal push rims due to size and heat transmission so I took them off and must have discarded them wondering why they were the way they were. I say that because I also have a set of Qgrip type rims that are embossed on the outside portion only. I have no idea if the embossing is factory or aftermarket. I do know I do not like the feel. So when I saw the metal embossed rims I knew I'd never use them. In fact I doubt I'll ever use these Qgrip type ones either, but I did keep them.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I have a set on some carbon blades like Stephen and agree completely with his comments. I also feel it’s debatable whether I actually have to grip harder on a slope. Mine have the vent holes placed mid span in the open area between the tabs and they need to have the edges chamfered as they’re pretty sharp.
    My favorites are Spinergy Flexrims. I am actually going to ask Spinergy if they can bond some Flexrims to the Blades. Or see if I can get any trade value as I have barely used them.

I have a friend who has those and swears by them. They do seem kinda pricey though. For me the Spinergy Anodized everyday chair wheel rims work just fine. I've tried some of the push rims on cheap wire rims like suns and don't like them, too slippery.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred