Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1080 vs 4k

Yes it does.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Does your cable box have other outputs? Other than the (red, white and yellow) RCA outputs. HDMI would be your best connection if so.

oh I'm sure it does, it's from comcast
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

If a 32" is as big as you can get for your room then you're limited to a couple choices. That TCL TV has 3 HDMI inputs, you should have no troubles...
    I'd give you my 32" Vizio that I plan to replace, but you're a few thousand miles away.

At 40" and below, the difference is almost none existent. Very hard to tell unless your eyes are less than 20yo. The difference comes from the color science used to process the picture. And that can be quite a lot(depending on your eyes), as well as being more expensive. But if youre getting a tv on a budget this doesnt apply. 4k on netflix - well thats gonna put a huge hole in your data plan, and will most likely buffer like crazy. I'd stick with FHD (1920x1080) if on a budget.
    Last edited by Mutley; 12-30-2019 at 04:25 AM.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Many people do not realize that HDR (High Dynamic Range) is more important than 4K.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    Many people do not realize that HDR (High Dynamic Range) is more important than 4K.
    ??

Its a marketing term that came from photography and most people have no idea what it means or what it does.

If you follow tech on say YouTube you see that influencers will tell you to get a better picture to turn off HDR to get true colors!

Be wary of marketing's here-today-gone-tomorrow crap.

I bought a Sony Bravia XBR 1080p TV over 10 year ago and it's picture still blows away most of today's TVs. For example, look at those curved TVs. What a bunch of marketing crap. The reason they curve the screen is because they have to. The viewing angle would suck otherwise. The far side is curved toward you to enable a better viewing angle. But the near side is curved away from you so have zero visibility of that side of the screen when sitting at an angle! I can see the full screen on my Sony wherever I am. Even many of the most expensive TVs can't do that today.

Sound quality is better than most of my friend's sound systems. This TV actually puts out decent bass as if it has a subwoofer (I doubt it does but the sound goes pretty low). Only an audiophile sound system would sound better.

Haven't really kept up on the latest TVs. But I am guessing Sony is still high quality. Forget the marketing crap. Go for fundamental quality.

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    ??

Its a marketing term that came from photography and most people have no idea what it means or what it does.

If you follow tech on say YouTube you see that influencers will tell you to get a better picture to turn off HDR to get true colors!
    I couldn't disagree more. OTOH, most 4K TVs, come with HDR. 4K can?t improve any image under native 4K, so anything less than 4K will show little to no improvement. HDR doesn?t focus on adding more pixels like its 4K counterpart, but instead creates better, more dynamic pixels by boosting contrast and brightness and providing a much wider range of colors!

Try listening to Scott Wilkinson (https://www.techhive.com/author/Scott-Wilkinson/), Robert Heron (http://www.heronfidelity.com/), Patrick Norton (https://www.avexcel.com/episodes).

I also have a Panasonic Plasma TV 1080P. The off axis viewing is better than most of the new TVs today. CRTs also had excellent off axis viewing angles.

I am going to stop posting on this thread!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. OTOH, most 4K TVs, come with HDR. 4K can?t improve any image under native 4K, so anything less than 4K will show little to no improvement. HDR doesn?t focus on adding more pixels like its 4K counterpart, but instead creates better, more dynamic pixels by boosting contrast and brightness and providing a much wider range of colors!

Try listening to Scott Wilkinson (https://www.techhive.com/author/Scott-Wilkinson/), Robert Heron (http://www.heronfidelity.com/), Patrick Norton (https://www.avexcel.com/episodes).

I also have a Panasonic Plasma TV 1080P. The off axis viewing is better than most of the new TVs today. CRTs also had excellent off axis viewing angles.

I am going to stop posting on this thread!
    PN Its not about no longer posting as we all bring value...

But being in the cable industry for 20 years and now retired I would not tell someone to get an older TV in this case 1080 when prices have since dropped big time and now someone can get a 4k for less price and get much better value.

Agree that there is not a lot of content in 4k but over all the picture is going to be brighter and more clear simply due to more screen pixels.