Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1080 vs 4k

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably end up with the Samsung, my mom's paying half for my xmas gift and she raised me to believe you get what you pay for. Plus I keep things for years, you should see my current tv it's a dinosaur.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably end up with the Samsung, my mom's paying half for my xmas gift and she raised me to believe you get what you pay for. Plus I keep things for years, you should see my current tv it's a dinosaur.
    A few years ago we paid up for quality! Sony, no baloney.
    Two year guarantee and we bought it like we always have, from a local small independent business. Twenty five months and it died. Without diagnosis he opined it as needing some $1200 major board replacement. I was upset! Can't you as a dealer get me some consideration? I am a long time customer and buy all my appliances here.
    NOPE, nothing, NADA, should have taken the extended warranty.

That was the end of a beautiful relationship!
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Two year guarantee and we bought it like we always have, from a local small independent business. Twenty five months and it died. Without diagnosis he opined it as needing some $1200 major board replacement. I was upset! Can't you as a dealer get me some consideration? I am a long time customer and buy all my appliances here.

My current Vizio was bought at Sam's and I bought the extended warranty. A month before the first year warranty, a power surge took it out. I called Sam's and told them that it died. They didn't want the hassle of me bringing it back and returned my money. I was looking at the TV thinking about tossing it out and then I remembered the factory warranty. I was like, can it be repaired? I called Vizio and they sent out a tech who replaced the board (for free) and voila, my TV worked again. I felt like a criminal but I laughed at the situation (after the tech left) incredulously. I got a free TV and seriously felt guilty but what was I to do? I don't suggest you scam, but if the extended warranty isn't too much, buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post

ugh sorry to hear that!

Scott can I plug my cable box into that TCL tv?

ugh sorry to hear that!

Does your cable box have an hdmi out, RCA (red, white and yellow) or a coax cable out?

ugh sorry to hear that!

All new TVs support a cable box...and for audio you want to use an optical able if your cable box supports it the should is much better!

TCL is the #2 TV supplier...the days of paying $1000 + are over for a nice large TV.

Buying Sony, Samsung, even Vizio doesn't prove any better value anymore.

Sony, at one time was top tier audio stuff, with top tier price. Sometime in the 80's they fell in quality but kept high price. Same for Fisher brand. Sony now is like most things, "like a box of chocolates".
    Multiple countries making one name brand and/or components. Sometimes it's origins affect end product. Companies are always looking for cheaper out sourcing.
    Example: Toshiba made in Japan was good stuff. Now made in China or Taiwan have resulted in many negative reviews.

A name brand that was good 10 years ago might be junk now. I check multiple web sites for reviews, ignoring the mostly fake positives. My formula: Positives minus 60%. If negatives are 20% of positives formula, you have a 50/50 chance of a good reliable product.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

I've decided that I might go with a 43" inch in my room instead of 40". It will cover my window a little bit but there's nothing to see out there anyway. So it will either be the 40" 4K Vizio https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-4...?skuId=6333198 or the 43" 4K TCL https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-43-...?skuId=6317675
    The TCL is less expensive and this model comes with a free Google mini to boot. As I type this I'm wondering why I would pay more for the small Vizio anyway. lol

well my current ancient tv has no hdmi, it's connected by RCA

The TV that I mentioned to you above has an adapter that will take your RCA (red, white and yellow) plug cable and turn it into an A/V plug (kinda like stereo headphone plugs) and plugs into the A/V source.
    Does your cable company supply you with HD programming?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-32-...?skuId=6280538