Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1080 vs 4k

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    PN Its not about no longer posting as we all bring value...

But being in the cable industry for 20 years and now retired I would not tell someone to get an older TV in this case 1080 when prices have since dropped big time and now someone can get a 4k for less price and get much better value.

Agree that there is not a lot of content in 4k but over all the picture is going to be brighter and more clear simply due to more screen pixels.

The thing I don't like about 4K is that my folks are currently using an analog cable box and the picture does not look very good. You can only blow an image up so far before it looks cheap. Kinda like watching a VHS movie on a 1080 TV.

Quote Originally Posted by RollinPositive View Post
    Its not about no longer posting as we all bring value...
    Agreed!

Complex problems need to be solved collectively!
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

How about refresh rate? Is 120 better than 60 when there are fast moving things on screen? Seems like it would be.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Refresh rates complicate things even more. Some gamers like using a monitor with 144hz refresh. Refresh rate vs higher resolution and then throw in gpu power. Of course a monitor still needs a tuner for cable.

For my old eyes and basic cable connection it's doubtful I can tell the difference of many of the features offered in todays tvs. One thing I look for is an IPS panel (vs TN or VA).
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    How about refresh rate? Is 120 better than 60 when there are fast moving things on screen? Seems like it would be.
    You definitely notice 60Hz VS 144Hz difference, it's fairly substantial but 4K montiros with 144Hz refresh rates are $1k and you need $5k PC to get 144HZ in 4k on most modern titles so it depends on if you want to spend such money. I'd go for a 60Hz, IPS panel basic 4k if you really want one - that's a good balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    The thing I don't like about 4K is that my folks are currently using an analog cable box and the picture does not look very good. You can only blow an image up so far before it looks cheap. Kinda like watching a VHS movie on a 1080 TV.
    analog cable box?? You can hook up and antenna to it and get HD or add a firestick and get free HD content!

I got them to give up cable. My sister and I got them a Toshiba Fire TV in 4K and hooked them up to my antenna. They're slowly getting used to it. They took the older TV upstairs and have a Fire stick for it.

I got them to give up cable. My sister and I got them a Toshiba Fire TV in 4K and hooked them up to my antenna. They're slowly getting used to it. They took the older TV upstairs and have a Fire stick for it.
    So if they have an antenna connected it should be getting locals in HD!

Plus the Firestick should also be HD content with 4k on things like YouTube.

The picture should be sharp and bright...

It is now. Their analog cable box was the main problem.

I was debating whether I need it in my bedroom with a 40" TV. 99% of my movies are DVD and I don't think that they will look as good on a 4K TV than a 1080 HD television.

It is now. Their analog cable box was the main problem.

I was debating whether I need it in my bedroom with a 40" TV. 99% of my movies are DVD and I don't think that they will look as good on a 4K TV than a 1080 HD television.

Toss the box as far as you can toss it...haven't needed those in way to many years to count.

You cant connect an analog box when all the signals are now digital.

4k will or should show more clear colors and better true blacks even watching DVD guilty content.

With streaming why not stream content vs buy and storing?