Thread: lasting side-effects from steroid injection?

lasting side-effects from steroid injection?

I got a Cortisone shot in my low back this past friday. i was sedated (IV) for it, and the grogginess seemed to wear off completely by the following day. Starting the night after that (so Sunday night), I started feeling really... "off". Kind of like climbing the walls with anxious energy... too hot, too cold, general discomfort from the inside out. I haven't been sleeping for more than a couple hours at a time at night and it all seems to be worse all throughout today (Tuesday) than it was yesterday. At first I thought I was either dying or going crazy (kidding... mostly) until my gf asked me this this evening if it could possibly be side effects from the injection? Thinking back, I definitely felt this way (x100) the 1st night of taking oral steroids (Medrol) in the past, but my doc didn't warn about anything similar with the shot, so I didn't even think about it. But since I'm going to assume I'm not dying or insane and that nothing else I can think of has changed, I'm thinking this is it.

Has anyone experienced this before? Is it normal (it wasn't on any of the 'things to be aware of' paperwork they gave me leaving the procedure)? How long does it last? Is there anything I can take, Dr prescribed or OTC) that might bring any relief?
    Last edited by daveh0; 12-10-2019 at 11:27 PM.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

These symptoms are very unique for a person in Colorado.

why is that?

Dave, I would call the hospital department where you received the injection and paperwork listing things to be aware of, and ask them about this. Also report your symptoms to your regular physician, who might be able to prescribe something to take the edge off. I've had extreme anxiety from oral steroids in the past (like you), and I don't know if injections present the same kinds of problems - but the person who administered or prescribed the injection should know. You might just have to wait it out until the effect dissipates, but it's sure worth reporting.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by daveh0 View Post
    why is that?
    Just a bad joke. Anxious, no sleep, discomfort, Colorado=legal weed. I have some master kush that relieves those symptoms real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by smity50 View Post
    Just a bad joke. Anxious, no sleep, discomfort, Colorado=legal weed. I have some master kush that relieves those symptoms real quick.
    I thought so. Haha gotcha. I guess we get used to that joke after a bit of time. Yeah a nice sour patch kid or a "mentos" has been known to do the trick for a variety of symptoms. I get concerned when those symptoms are not status quo and at least like to know why extra-medication might be in order. I know none of that was part of the intent in your response, but thanks for the input, smitty50.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Dave, I would call the hospital department where you received the injection and paperwork listing things to be aware of, and ask them about this. Also report your symptoms to your regular physician, who might be able to prescribe something to take the edge off. I've had extreme anxiety from oral steroids in the past (like you), and I don't know if injections present the same kinds of problems - but the person who administered or prescribed the injection should know. You might just have to wait it out until the effect dissipates, but it's sure worth reporting.
    Thanks Bonnette. I left the surgical center a message last night and missed their call back this morning. Things are much better today, but after climbing the walls (with minimal sleep) for almost 48 hrs straight, I start thinking the worst (hence yesterday's post). i'm guessing things will continue to subside and all will be good. If things head south, I'll be sure to have them on speed dial. ready for a good long nap.

Quote Originally Posted by daveh0 View Post
    Thanks Bonnette. I left the surgical center a message last night and missed their call back this morning. Things are much better today, but after climbing the walls (with minimal sleep) for almost 48 hrs straight, I start thinking the worst (hence yesterday's post). i'm guessing things will continue to subside and all will be good. If things head south, I'll be sure to have them on speed dial. ready for a good long nap.
    Good, I'm glad it's getting better. Maybe some of that steroid got into your circulatory system and caused a temporary issue - expect you'll feel lots better after a long nap!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions