Thread: I was asked to participate in a clinical trail.

I was asked to participate in a clinical trail.

I was contacted by USPS mail from The Cleveland Clinic to participate in a research project entitled, "Improving Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Interventions by Retraining the Brain" conducted by The Cleveland Clinic and is funded by the Department of Defense.

As stated in the letter, "The purpose of this phase I/II clinical trail for patients living with spinal cord injury (SCI) is to test a new treatment for improving training results and hence functional independence. Specifically, we will investigate whether combining training of the affected upper limbs in patients with SCI with a noninvasive technique of brain stimulation called transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) can improve training outcomes. tDCS is a painless, noninvasive brain stimulation method which will be applied to the part of the brain that controls the weaker hand."

It is 2 hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 weeks by trained staff.

The Cleveland Clinic will telephone me in 1-2 weeks for additional screening for eligibility.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

What are training outcomes? Are they motor function?

@titanium4motion

I hope it works out and something good comes of it.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    ... brain stimulation called transcranial direct current stimulation...
    You gunna let them hook wires to your skull and hit you with DC current? Good luck with that.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I was contacted by USPS mail from The Cleveland Clinic to participate in a research project entitled, "Improving Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation Interventions by Retraining the Brain" conducted by The Cleveland Clinic and is funded by the Department of Defense.

As stated in the letter, "The purpose of this phase I/II clinical trail for patients living with spinal cord injury (SCI) is to test a new treatment for improving training results and hence functional independence. Specifically, we will investigate whether combining training of the affected upper limbs in patients with SCI with a noninvasive technique of brain stimulation called transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) can improve training outcomes. tDCS is a painless, noninvasive brain stimulation method which will be applied to the part of the brain that controls the weaker hand."

It is 2 hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 weeks by trained staff.

The Cleveland Clinic will telephone me in 1-2 weeks for additional screening for eligibility.

Ti
    Go for it!

If you live in Ohio and live close to the clinic I would participate in it

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    You gunna let them hook wires to your skull and hit you with DC current? Good luck with that.
    Is that like "recharging your batteries" so to speak.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete