Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any paras tried pushing a shopping cart?

Quite a few years since I have done the dance with the cart some stores are eliminating baskets too Home Depot and their pails are tough How do you balance a 5 gallon Pailin your lap?

I've learned that if you have a smooth rolling cart you can hold onto the handles and turn the front of the cart from side to side and it will pull you along.

I never push a shopping cart. Instead, I shop with a basket on my lap. I sometimes bring 2 baskets and in that case request that someone carry the second basket to my car.

I just stick my feet under the bottom of the cart and push along and steer the cart by my hands if needed. I use the cart as a mother ship so to speak and park it at the top of the aisle and then use the basket on my lap as my gatherer. Once I have all the items that I need from that aisle I curise up the adjacent ones and get my other items. I then return to my cart and unload my items get behind the cart and move down another couple of aisles and repeat the process. I found that the hardest part of my shopping was asking someone to get an item off a shelf that was to high for me to reach and then unloading the items from the cart onto the moving belt at the check out counter. I then let the checkout person bag my items and I load the bags into the cart and then depending on the weather I either push the cart to my car or let one of the store employees do it. I load the bags into the trunk of my car or let the employee do it as I get in the car and break down my chair and I am off.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    Yes, I've done that but it's kind of useless.
    Me, I appropriated a Shoprite blue basket. I carry it on my lap and have become quite adept at overfilling it. When I get to checkout I put everything on the belt in reverse order and go to the end to repack it likewise. As I've told over zealous check out people, how many of these plastic bags can I balance on my lap with the handles in my mouth!? I went there this evening to shop for a party of 35+ this Sunday and must say I'm proud of myself! In addition to 3 sides of ribs, 4 large packs of chicken legs and drumsticks, and a bag of shrimp, I picked up all the usual weekly stuff-oh shit! I forgot the chibata bread!-so much that when I reached the car, the huge mass of meat got put into my other (A&P) hot shopping basket, which is now in the breezeway up high on the wood pile because all wouldn't go in our fridge and it's 33*F outside. Tomorrow I'll worry about it

And that chick with the cart? That's kiddie city!
    I do that too. But I get concerned about all the weight on my legs for a long time and try to do 2 trips if necessary.

Any more than that, I ask for assistance. They bring a cart and load everything. Goes really fast that way. But better yet is home delivery.

The only issues with home delivery are: 1) I prefer to hand select meats and produce, and 2) you don't see the specials that are available in the store. For example, the lowest price on a whole chicken from Instacart may be $3.49/lb whereas I know it's $1.99/lb in the store.

Blog Entries
    I agree about meats and produce but I've yet to be dissatisfied with the folks at Kroger. Re: deals I believe I've gotten way better deals using online coupons than in store. They know most people like to hand pick stuff so many places go a bit extra on the online deals, actually. E.g. I just got a coupon code last week for a 30% discount on my whole order from Kroger! There are regular online coupons that are typically better than the in store stuff in my experience.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Curios what type of shoes you wear I used to all kinds of stuff open doors etc got a small pen I eraser size toe wound 8 months ago still not. Totally healed pretty. CReful what my toes come in contact with now

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    I just stick my feet under the bottom of the cart and push along and steer the cart by my hands if needed. I use the cart as a mother ship so to speak and park it at the top of the aisle and then use the basket on my lap as my gatherer. Once I have all the items that I need from that aisle I curise up the adjacent ones and get my other items. I then return to my cart and unload my items get behind the cart and move down another couple of aisles and repeat the process. I found that the hardest part of my shopping was asking someone to get an item off a shelf that was to high for me to reach and then unloading the items from the cart onto the moving belt at the check out counter. I then let the checkout person bag my items and I load the bags into the cart and then depending on the weather I either push the cart to my car or let one of the store employees do it. I load the bags into the trunk of my car or let the employee do it as I get in the car and break down my chair and I am off.

Quote Originally Posted by pete4sake View Post
    Curios what type of shoes you wear I used to all kinds of stuff open doors etc got a small pen I eraser size toe wound 8 months ago still not. Totally healed pretty. CReful what my toes come in contact with now
    curious why don/t you save ur engery and time order on line and pick up is so easy and great service

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I do that too. But I get concerned about all the weight on my legs for a long time and try to do 2 trips if necessary.

Any more than that, I ask for assistance. They bring a cart and load everything. Goes really fast that way. But better yet is home delivery.

The only issues with home delivery are: 1) I prefer to hand select meats and produce, and 2) you don't see the specials that are available in the store. For example, the lowest price on a whole chicken from Instacart may be $3.49/lb whereas I know it's $1.99/lb in the store.
    I shop on line Walmart as that's all they have where I live I always get the lowest price. I do not have home del not offered but caregiver picks on the way here 2 times a month

I feel like I hit up a grocery store or Lowe's three times a week. I don't find pushing the carts around terribly difficult, but it does tax the wrists and lats. I usually push with one hand on cart and one on wheel, then alternate if one side gets fatigued, using my wrist to direct the cart. This past hurricane season I went to Sam's club and must have had over 60 pounds of water and such in their double sized carts. That was a workout. Usually, the hardest part about it is getting heavy things from inside the cart to either the check out line or into my truck. One hand on the item and one on the opposite wheel for balance. If I think ahead, I'll put one of my laundry baskets in the back of the truck (I have an enclosed shell) and then fill the laundry basket with the groceries (minus any eggs) so that when I get home I can make one trip from the truck to the house. The grocery store I typically swing by has two sizes of carts now, which is great. The smaller one is very shallow and easy to lift things out of.

Baskets are still the preferred choice if I'm only grabbing a few things.