Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any paras tried pushing a shopping cart?

I get a laundry basket and leave it at check out. I push the cart backwards.

been pushing a buggy for 30 yrs....only get's tuff when I fill it up, but it's still no biggy...

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    been pushing a buggy for 30 yrs....only get's tuff when I fill it up, but it's still no biggy...
    Someone should have taught me this in rehab... it feels like a super basic thing that I didn't know how to do for years... or maybe it's just extremely obvious and they figure they don't need to teach it and I'm just one of the few idiots who took forever to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Someone should have taught me this in rehab... it feels like a super basic thing that I didn't know how to do for years... or maybe it's just extremely obvious and they figure they don't need to teach it and I'm just one of the few idiots who took forever to figure it out.
    funk,
    I was great to have rehab teach this. They forced me to cook a meal, which involved pushing to the nearest grocery store, buying groceries, getting groceries back to the hospital (un-aided), and then cooking the meal in their little kitchen. While at the grocery store, although we were only buying a few things, they showed the best way to push a cart when necessary. The hardest part about that whole exercise was they gave me $10 to cook a meal and the closest grocery store was Whole Foods. I could barely buy a box of noodles and half a tomato there for $10...

Blog Entries
    Yeah me too. They took us to the mall. Had to shop. To the grocery store. Had to shop. Off the tarmac. Up and down steps. Etc. I'm surprised to know ADLs like this aren't universally taught! That sucks
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

My rehab was 17 days. They sent me home with a picc line too, so I could self administer my IV antibiotics. As soon as I could transfer to and from the chair, it was time to go haha

Quote Originally Posted by Denied2016 View Post
    My rehab was 17 days. They sent me home with a picc line too, so I could self administer my IV antibiotics. As soon as I could transfer to and from the chair, it was time to go haha
    That is horrible. Where did you go? I went through the Shepherd Center in Atlanta and had a really good experience except I finished all my OT/PT goals and they kept me for 2 more weeks. It worked out in the end as I got to learn and practice what they called "advanced skills" like going up and down stairs by myself while in the chair.

To echo what Oddity said, I wish there were some universal set of OT type skills that needed to be taught before leaving rehab. If nothing else, home life skills, public transit (including airplanes), and shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yeah me too. They took us to the mall. Had to shop. To the grocery store. Had to shop. Off the tarmac. Up and down steps. Etc. I'm surprised to know ADLs like this aren't universally taught! That sucks
    i did this in rehab as well, but with a limited budget and only cooking one meal there was no need for a cart. Even now that I know how to push a cart I would still use a basket on my lap if I knew I was only buying one meal worth of groceries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Denied2016 View Post

My entire hospitalization was only 18 days, from arriving in the ER after being run over, having spinal reconstruction surgery (rods and pins T10-L3 from a traumatic dislocation), and ankle repair (pins and plates), a bladder repair (ruptured), recovery, rehab, to transferring into my car for the ride home. 18 days.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by ToastGuard View Post
    That is horrible. Where did you go? I went through the Shepherd Center in Atlanta and had a really good experience except I finished all my OT/PT goals and they kept me for 2 more weeks. It worked out in the end as I got to learn and practice what they called "advanced skills" like going up and down stairs by myself while in the chair.

To echo what Oddity said, I wish there were some universal set of OT type skills that needed to be taught before leaving rehab. If nothing else, home life skills, public transit (including airplanes), and shopping.
    I’m in Southern California so the rehab was at Loma Linda. Unfortunately my 15 foot ladder fall resulted in a collapsed lung, pneumonia, ventilator, and a destroyed left arm. I was in a coma for the first month. So my hospital stay was 2 months, followed by 17 rehab days. They did a good job, but I can understand why (especially now) rehab used to be months instead of weeks