Thread: Sphincterotomy questions

Sphincterotomy questions

I am a c4/5 incomplete quad. I have been plagued with uti's for a year. just had urodynamics done and my residuals are and have been too high.I am condom cath drainage.
    my urologist wants to setup a sphincterotomy in the new year. would love to hear from anyone who has had this procedure done and from nurses plz as to what to expect. thx

Had this done in 1972 back before intermittent catheterization was widely preferred. Once done it cannot be reversed. I did have to have the surgery repeated a few years back. You will have to wear a condom cath and use a night drainage bag. The upside for me has been I almost never get a uti. I am T-10 since 1970.

I had one done in 1973 as that was the treatment then, at least where I had my rehab. It worked well for 40+ years. I've never had it redone. A year and half ago I went to a urethral foley as I was getting recurrent UTIS and my bladder wasn't emptying as well any more. I'm going to have urodynamics done (first one ever) to see if it is safe to go back to condom drainage.

Condom drainage was much better than the foley. As a c6/7 quad I was independant with condom cath so hope I can some day go back to it. As ancientgimp says though it isn't reversible and likely rules out intermittant catheterization.

Quote Originally Posted by beckman View Post
    I had one done in 1973 as that was the treatment then, at least where I had my rehab. It worked well for 40+ years. I've never had it redone. A year and half ago I went to a urethral foley as I was getting recurrent UTIS and my bladder wasn't emptying as well any more. I'm going to have urodynamics done (first one ever) to see if it is safe to go back to condom drainage.

Condom drainage was much better than the foley. As a c6/7 quad I was independant with condom cath so hope I can some day go back to it. As ancientgimp says though it isn't reversible and likely rules out intermittant catheterization.
    When I first started using condom caths there were no premade ones. You just bought a pack of Trojans, some surgical tubing and some stoma (I believe) adhesive. You built the condom using the tubing and 2 small bands of tubing to connect condom to 3" piece of tubing. You then used a sharp object to puncture the condom to allow flow through the surgical tubing. In rehab, I once went to dinner at a PT's home with her parents. At conclusion of meal I noticed a huge bulge in my pants. I had forgotten to puncture the condom. The PT and I left quickly. I used a pencil to puncture the condom in her father's station wagon getting some urine on floormat. Just another fun day with sci.

Me too, plus the kipper leg bags. We were given two: one for the wash and one to wear.

thanks for replys hoping to have our nurses respond too and any other fellow sci

Ya, I had first Spinctorotomy in 1984 and then another 2009 and that didn't work out as I was not emptying all that well again and then a third 2013 and that one work fine and been fine since and fairly uti free, no need to cath or anything, I do try to move around in the chair some and in bed some to empty out completely. If you just sit and don't move around enough and drink enough water you may still get UTI's.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Ya, I had first Spinctorotomy in 1984 and then another 2009 and that didn't work out as I was not emptying all that well again and then a third 2013 and that one work fine and been fine since and fairly uti free, no need to cath or anything, I do try to move around in the chair some and in bed some to empty out completely. If you just sit and don't move around enough and drink enough water you may still get UTI's.
    Curt thanks for the reply