Thread: pressure sore down time questions

pressure sore down time questions

So after 34 yars got my first tage 3 ? pressure sores they are over 1" diameter one on each side of sacrum up towards top of crack. They came about post hospital stay for complex uti and most likely from just laying on my back in bed. I was still qiute sick aand Home Health care didn't show up for 2 days. Anyway moving on. I normally straight cath every 4 hours but was sent home with a foley and haven't had it removed yet. Should i just leave foley in for at least the first month or so of down period? If I had to get up to straight cath that would be about 10 transfers a day potentially causing damage to already compromisd skin.. I also know Foley will patentially caiuse more UTI's ...Curently on IV for 2 more weeks Primary and uro say it's my deciscion on whether to leave in foley. I have tried cathing in bed more urine on sheets thanin urinal no idea how people can do that. Lastly last 2 days leg bag urine looked orangish but returned to yellow colr ate drinking 48 oz of water both time.

Any feedback welcome
    pete
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-04-2019 at 12:07 PM.

The color of urine is not an indication of UTI but more of what you are or are not drinking.
    You definitely don't want to have urine in the bed and possible contaminating the wounds more. Despite increased chance of UTI, UTI's are a lot easier to treat acute/chronic wounds/osteomyelitis.

CWO
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

How often should. Foley be changed also I have a very tight schincter so hard to put new foley initial day of hospital
    stay after 2 failed er attempts a urologist with about 40 different types of catheters was able to establish Foley I have had it in about 3 1/2 weeks should I leave it in or try to change lastly how or should I flush or irrigate c
    foley

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    The color of urine is not an indication of UTI but more of what you are or are not drinking.
    You definitely don't want to have urine in the bed and possible contaminating the wounds more. Despite increased chance of UTI, UTI's are a lot easier to treat acute/chronic wounds/osteomyelitis.

CWO

If you're on iv for 2 more weeks, you should be fine the next 2 weeks.