Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colostomy bag advice needed

Colostomy bag advice needed

I finally pulled the trigger and I made my first appointment with my surgeon and he is recommending a laparoscopic colostomy which will produce a thicker and pasty consistency, I think that is a sigmoid if I'm not mistaken, but my memory is terrible.

I do not want to stink and I was recommended this Hollister bag, https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...TBRANDNAMEWEB=.

Does anyone else use this bag and if so how many times a day do you have to change them? Also how many does Medicare cover a month?

Many thanks in advance for any response.

Quote Originally Posted by pukkap View Post
    I finally pulled the trigger and I made my first appointment with my surgeon and he is recommending a laparoscopic colostomy which will produce a thicker and pasty consistency, I think that is a sigmoid if I'm not mistaken, but my memory is terrible.

I do not want to stink and I was recommended this Hollister bag, https://products.coloplast.us/colopl...TBRANDNAMEWEB=.

Does anyone else use this bag and if so how many times a day do you have to change them? Also how many does Medicare cover a month?

I use hollister bag with a wafer and open drainage. And I would never use a closed bag without drainage because there will be times where you will have a case of diarrhea and when you peel that bag off your skin it will me a huge mess.
    And i suggest using a bag with a wafer so you don't have to change that every day. Because pulling the bag from your skin to often will cause skin problems.
    Another tip. When changing the bag. Tape a chunk to your skin with paper tape below the stoma just in case you have a surprise of diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by pukkap View Post

I use this bag. It works great for me. I have no skin problems from changing it. They do make the same style drainable. I agree with TheRainman about diarrhea. Doesn't happen often but it does and it can be messy.

I am a quad c6c7 I have the 2 ps system wafer and then bag I get diarrha a lot simply because I love veggies and fruit probiotics have helped but I use a garbage sack on lap over me and wheel the I use a plastic ingle or Walmart bag under bag peel off bag clean with tissue put new bag on ties grocery bag up dispose easy no smell fyi had pototoe soup yesterday soft this am I have already change 2 times

I get 2 boxes wafer a month 90 bags a month I also use destin if I get a little red in stoma from diarrha

I use a similar disposable pre-cut closed end pouch from convatec. I usually change them once or twice each day.

Yes diarrhea is a big challenge.

How do you empty the drainable pouch if you have watery diarrhea, Rainman? As a quad I can change the disposable pouches fairly easy especially at home, but I can’t drain the disposable pouches into the toilet. It would be very helpful if I could figure a way to drain them especially when out of the house

I use the 2-piece version of the coloplast sensura mio system (from your link). I recommend it - the system works well for me. The adhesive works well (no skin issues), and I find the charcoal filter does it's job.

The only issue with the 2-piece coloplast system is that the clasp might be a challenge depending on your finger pinch strength. But the upside of the clasp is that it keeps the bag on tight.

In regards emptying and possible messes, I use a 'puppy pad' in my lap and if the bag is very full I either lean over the disposal bag or sometimes I'll use scissors and cut the bottom corner to empty into the bag. A small mess, but it's manageable.

For out of the house, I put some material into a bag that one of the vendors sent to me with samples right after my operation. I carry a 'puppy pad', a velcro tie (to hold my shirt out of the way), a few pouches, some disposal bags, a couple of wafers, some 4"x4" gauze pads (to wipe), and a few other things.

CUT TO THE CHASE!:

I use Hollister 14803 flanges and 18363 bags. I'm T12, 72yo, got the colostomy in 2012 when I had my first (in 24 years) and last butt wound, stage 4 ulcer.
    Initially I was given and used sticky puttylike stuff to make a peripheral ring before sticking the flange on. It was a time consuming PITA! After 6 months or so I stopped using it (as well as barrier film, 3M Coloplast), and never looked back. I change the flange every 4 days when I shower but sometimes life gets in the way. I've gone 6 days more than once. Occasionally, especially when dealing with thick but creamy shit, a flange will begin to delaminate from the skin and I'll change it early. This is noticeable. When you remove the bag, using toilet paper to clean the site, you'll get present to the weirdness of the wipe (good prose, eh?) as you are pushing shit into the crevasse of the delaminating flange. When you pull it off, you'll see how far it got. You'll quickly get present to when to worry! (and I rarely do-these things are pretty bulletproof with proper technique)

I don't carry much stuff in my wheelchair pouch, just a couple spare bags, 3 or 4 folded up paper towels, a couple alcohol wipes and a flange that I pre-cut the opening to size.

After 17 years of bowel programs ruling my time, I wish I had done this a long time ago! IMO it is clearly an improvement in quality of life and lifestyle. And, with my suprapubic catheter, superman don't need no fucking bathrooms! (they do have some use however )
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pfcs49; 12-04-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I would agree that a 2-piece appliance is much easier to manage than a one-piece. Who recommended that one-piece to you?

You may also want to select a pouch that has a charcoal filtered vent to manage gas with much less odor. There are also good products that you can put inside the bag (liquids) that will reduce odor. A good CWOCN can recommend a specific product.

You should be seeing a good CWOCN (ostomy nurse) prior to your surgery, who should be marking your stoma site, and recommending products for you to use initially. Often a one-piece system is used immediately after surgery, but then transitioned to a 2-piece as the stoma matures and heals (and usually shrinks). The CWOCN should also see you in the hospital post-op, and be available to you for consultation for at least 3 months after your surgery.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by pfcs49 View Post
    CUT TO THE CHASE!:

I use Hollister 14803 flanges and 18363 bags. I'm T12, 72yo, got the colostomy in 2012 when I had my first (in 24 years) and last butt wound, stage 4 ulcer.
    Initially I was given and used sticky puttylike stuff to make a peripheral ring before sticking the flange on. It was a time consuming PITA! After 6 months or so I stopped using it (as well as barrier film, 3M Coloplast), and never looked back. I change the flange every 4 days when I shower but sometimes life gets in the way. I've gone 6 days more than once. Occasionally, especially when dealing with thick but creamy shit, a flange will begin to delaminate from the skin and I'll change it early. This is noticeable. When you remove the bag, using toilet paper to clean the site, you'll get present to the weirdness of the wipe (good prose, eh?) as you are pushing shit into the crevasse of the delaminating flange. When you pull it off, you'll see how far it got. You'll quickly get present to when to worry! (and I rarely do-these things are pretty bulletproof with proper technique)

I don't carry much stuff in my wheelchair pouch, just a couple spare bags, 3 or 4 folded up paper towels, a couple alcohol wipes and a flange that I pre-cut the opening to size.

After 17 years of bowel programs ruling my time, I wish I had done this a long time ago! IMO it is clearly an improvement in quality of life and lifestyle. And, with my suprapubic catheter, superman don't need no fucking bathrooms! (they do have some use however )
    absolutely true I could have never gone primitive down the Colorado white water for 7days if I had noy have colonosty
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I would agree that a 2-piece appliance is much easier to manage than a one-piece. Who recommended that one-piece to you?
    How is a 2-piece appliance much easier to manage than a 1-piece?