Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fractured tibia

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    I use Prevalon boots in bed every night for heel pressure reduction but turns out they are really good post surgery for a tibial nail, at least for me. The surgeons weren't at all concerned about the fibula and as they said "not a weight-bearing bone". Probably not a concern for someone who is paralysed but I suspect the same would not apply to able-bodied people. I was also told by the surgeon even though my bones are soft they are not eggshells like older people. I can only repeat what I was told.

I took the boots to hospital as well as they are a fantastic place for pressure injuries.
    I had surgery on Friday, doc said bones were not too soft. I've been taking Advil during day and Tramadol at night to deal with the AD Did you have it very long? I hate taking constipating meds. Also I asked when I could start range of motion and he said right away, seems soon, when did you start? Thanks.

BTW this looks like the boot I'm wearing
    https://www.djoglobal.com/products/a...irselect-elite
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Good luck!
    When I had my accident, my femur was broke at both ends. It had plates and screws at both ends.
    2-3 months pos, it was not growing together. My orthopedist wanted to take me to the OR for a shaft, but I chose to get a 2nd opinion first.
    The old ortho I consulted recommended trying an electro-magnetic stimulator which my surgeon discounted out of hand but he reluctantly prescribed it.
    After two weeks, I went back and he took an Xray. Holding the film up to his ceiling lights he said "holy shit! look at that callus! Some of my associates need to see this."
    Hoping your surgery is a great success! And if not, here's a non-invasive option that worked for me.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

I was wondering about you. Glad to see your surgery is over and that you are on the road to recovery. You got this.

Thanks guys! Pfcs that sounds interesting, ty.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    I had surgery on Friday, doc said bones were not too soft. I've been taking Advil during day and Tramadol at night to deal with the AD Did you have it very long? I hate taking constipating meds. Also I asked when I could start range of motion and he said right away, seems soon, when did you start? Thanks.

BTW this looks like the boot I'm wearing
    https://www.djoglobal.com/products/a...irselect-elite
    I didn't get any autonomic dysreflexia after leaving hospital but it was extremely swollen. I did have Nitrolingual on standby. I did stay in bed for a little while as I was concerned about the swelling. Contracted a UTI as I had an indwelling catheter prior and post surgery. I went to emergency as I was having trouble distinguishing between my bladder or the leg being the problem. Prescribed antibiotics and in a week I was operating as normal, treating it like an internal cast and x-rays after a much longer period showed the bone was finally knitting only because of the realignment. I have always been slack with range of motion movements and yes I do have some issues from not being diligent.

As far as your boot goes you would have to be the best judge but because I sleep on my back my main issue was not only protecting the leg but protecting pressure injuries on my heels.

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky View Post
    Thanks! I need to come by more than just when I need something
    Sometimes it's hard emotionally to hang out here. Good Luck.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Sometimes it's hard emotionally to hang out here. Good Luck.
    Sorry to hear that, it didnt used to be. Thanks.

Thankfully the AD is gone, no need for pain meds anymore. BTW the boot is just during the day, I dont have to sleep with it. I see the doc on Monday, cant wait I want to wash my leg!

Sounds like it's all going good and I'll bet you'll be glad you had it done. Better than have bones floating around even though I know other people who cope like that. If I broke the other leg I would have the same thing done without hesitation. I did use garbage bags whilst in the shower for a couple of weeks, to keep it dry obviously.

Thanks I'm glad now I did it as the AD before surgery wasnt something I could live with.

Glad you're glad, and don't leave us!

The community seems pretty congenial now with a couple minor exceptions in politics.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ