Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any quadriplegic ever stay at a Sunrise nursing home?

Any quadriplegic ever stay at a Sunrise nursing home?

Unfortunately I can't find any other caregivers and the nursing home is now my only alternative. Thankfully I own my own home(which I'm going to have to sell) so it has allowed me to afford to afford an expensive place but has any quadriplegic ever stayed there?

Just wondering if you're sure you really want to go this route? I can't tell from your profile what your physical limitations might be that require caregivers, but I note that you are not that old at 45(?).

Have you explored getting referrals/advice from a Center for Independent Living in your state? They are in every state to help disabled persons live and manage their needs in the community rather than in a nursing home.

I have not had to use an ongoing caregiver so I don't know the issues other than, yes, it's difficult to find and keep them. But I have been in two different nursing homes - one for 5 months after pneumonia and complications, the other for a full month of rehab. after I had a bad reaction to an antibiotic. However, I'm in my 70's and you seem much too young to live in an often restrictive, monotonous situation.

I would recommend you look up the nursing homes you are considering here:
    https://www.medicare.gov/nursinghomecompare/search.html?

and here: https://www.carepathways.com/nhg-state-CA.cfm

I assume you are private paying, but that will run through your money pretty quickly, and you may have to then apply for MediCal.

Like Triumph, I would urge you to contact your local CIL/ILC to see if you are missing out on some alternatives. Selling your home, and then renting and private hiring attendants would stretch your money much further.

Even in a private/expensive nursing home you will give up much of the control over your life in a nursing home. Your schedule may not be followed. They may not allow you to use a power chair. Your food choices will be very limited. Your medications may be controlled by the facility physician, not your previous private provider. They may have little or no knowledge about SCI/D, such as AD management, bowel care, etc. and may refuse to follow your directions in how to do such care. Most will not do intermittent catheterization, so you may have to use an indwelling catheter with the accompanying risks of more UTIs. Turning can be infrequent, if at all. Recreational activities may be very limited. You will most likely be the youngest person in the facility (at age 45). Outings outside the facility may be limited, if at available at all.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

I assume you are private paying, but that will run through your money pretty quickly, and you may have to then apply for MediCal.

Like Triumph, I would urge you to contact your local CIL/ILC to see if you are missing out on some alternatives. Selling your home, and then renting and private hiring attendants would stretch your money much further.

Even in a private/expensive nursing home you will give up much of the control over your life in a nursing home. Your schedule may not be followed. They may not allow you to use a power chair. Your food choices will be very limited. Your medications may be controlled by the facility physician, not your previous private provider. They may have little or no knowledge about SCI/D, such as AD management, bowel care, etc. and may refuse to follow your directions in how to do such care. Most will not do intermittent catheterization, so you may have to use an indwelling catheter with the accompanying risks of more UTIs. Turning can be infrequent, if at all. Recreational activities may be very limited. You will most likely be the youngest person in the facility (at age 45). Outings outside the facility may be limited, if at available at all.

(KLD)
    That paints a great outlook.
    Art

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    Thank you KLD for the links.

And thank you Triumph for your suggestions, I have a friend who works at my local center of independence and there is no one available. I tried two list that were sent to me from IHSS and had no luck. I put a posting on craigslist just to see what I would get offering 25/$30 an hour even though that's well above what IHSS pays and I know I can get in trouble, but the only people who are applying our ex-felons and I specifically stated all my ad that I will be running a background check and no felons. One girl almost pulled a fast one on me until I ran an extensive background check on her and she was recently arrested for stealing from an elderly person. I have even reached out to agencies that want $36 an hour and they can even find anyone to help me, so unfortunately I don't know what other alternatives I have.

I have been dealing with inferior and abusive care for the last 17 plus years from caregivers that are only doing this job because they can't do anything else or no one else will hire them and I just can't see myself hiring an ex-felon. And most importantly, I mean really, who am I going to find for $13.90 an hour. Kids working at in and out are starting at $17 an hour out here, so why would anyone in their right mind want to work and do this. Sorry for the rant but constantly hiring and looking for caregivers is exhausting and I feel so defeated. I have been at this for over a month and a half now with no luck finding caregivers, this is really the only part of being a quad that I absolutely hate!

I don't know what city you are in in CA, but have you tried recruiting nursing, PT, or OT students a your local colleges or universities? Many of my clients have been successful with this, and when I was hiring PCAs for my mother, a number of her best PCAs were nursing students, or CNAs who also had another job.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Just a rant here: What kind of country do we live in where a lost dog gets thousands of hits on Facebook and you can't find a trustworthy caretaker to let you live an independent, dignified life? Your issue and others who cannot find appropriate caretakers exposes one of the weakest links in our country's services available to disabled individuals. In short, what good is it to get SSDI, SSI, Medicare, etc. if caretakers are so scarce.

Agree with nurse about contacting all local schools that have medical programs. Suggest you talk to the deans, instructors, whatever.
    Please don't give up. If you have a friend who would help with this, now is the time to reach out to them.

I also feel the pain. I posted the following advertisement, but didn't get any response. Yes, I also posted it on nursing departments. Really hard.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JK; 12-03-2019 at 07:34 PM.

[QUOTE=JK;1889565]I also feel the pain. I post the following advertisement, but didn't get any response. Yes, I also posted it on nursing departments. Really hard.[/QUOTE
    hioly cow I am surprise no takers dang dumb question c6 I would think u would be fairly independent I am c6c7 almost independt no one on weekend 1 hr aday.

my worry is when I get old and can not physcical transfer by myself scared of that

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Just a rant here: What kind of country do we live in where a lost dog gets thousands of hits on Facebook and you can't find a trustworthy caretaker to let you live an independent, dignified life? Your issue and others who cannot find appropriate caretakers exposes one of the weakest links in our country's services available to disabled individuals. In short, what good is it to get SSDI, SSI, Medicare, etc. if caretakers are so scarce.

Agree with nurse about contacting all local schools that have medical programs. Suggest you talk to the deans, instructors, whatever.
    Please don't give up. If you have a friend who would help with this, now is the time to reach out to them.
    I live 3 miles from a nursing college never got the first bite its wild