Thread: What is the proper cleaning techniques for the stoma SP CATHETER SITE

What is the proper cleaning techniques for the stoma SP CATHETER SITE

I recently have lost my one caregiver was able to transfer me to my shower chair manually so for the past month I have been doing only doing bed baths. I'm in the process of getting a new chair so I can use a Hoyer lift, however in the meantime what is the best way to properly clean the stoma?

I have been using just alcohol wipes, but it is sometimes hard to get all the crusty stuff inside the stoma. I have read that the SCI nurse mentioned using water and antibacterial soap, but is it okay to do that while I'm laying flat in bed?

Put some antibacterial soap on a clean, moist washcloth, and gently wash the stoma area, then scrub the catheter outside your body, being sure to remove any encrustations. Use another moist washcloth to rinse/clean off the soap, and pat dry. This should be done daily, and it doesn't matter what position you are in when doing it.

Also be sure you are keeping any hairs trimmed back very short (no more than 1/4") for at least 1" around your stoma.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Put some antibacterial soap on a clean, moist washcloth, and gently wash the stoma area, then scrub the catheter outside your body, being sure to remove any encrustations. Use another moist washcloth to rinse/clean off the soap, and pat dry. This should be done daily, and it doesn't matter what position you are in when doing it.

Also be sure you are keeping any hairs trimmed back very short (no more than 1/4") for at least 1" around your stoma.

(KLD)
    Thank you so much KLD, your sage advice is greatly appreciated!