Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone with experienced with the Pressure/Guard mattres for a transfer master bed

Anyone with experienced with the Pressure/Guard mattres for a transfer master bed

I have owned a transfer master bed for over 20 years and I would highly recommend it for anyone who can afford it. But it's time for a new bed and I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried the Pressure/Guard mattress that they offer with the bed?
    https://www.transfermaster.com/mattr...ssureguard-cft

Quick background about me, I am a C4/C5 quad incomplete with some sensation and I always sleep on my back.

Many thanks for any replies in advance.
    Last edited by pukkap; 12-01-2019 at 11:57 PM.

I have used these mattresses (actually made by SpanAmerica) before for home care, and they are pretty good for a non-powered pressure reducing, preventive surface. Not sufficient pressure reduction for treatment of pressure injuries though. At one time they had some problems with leaks in the tubing connecting the air chambers, but I believe they got that problem resolved.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Do you think I can put a foam mattress overlay as well, or does that defeat the purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by pukkap View Post
    Do you think I can put a foam mattress overlay as well, or does that defeat the purpose?
    A mattress overlay would negate the benefits of this mattress. It should be used with a minimum of linens as well; ideally with knit sheets, and avoid Chux if possible.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A mattress overlay would negate the benefits of this mattress. It should be used with a minimum of linens as well; ideally with knit sheets, and avoid Chux if possible.

(KLD)
    Why shouldn't I use chux?

The more layers you put between yourself and the mattress, the less effective the pressure reduction. If you must use a Chux, use only one layer.

I also have concerns over your not turning at all, regardless of the surface you are sleeping on. You may get away with this when young, but as you get older, this is a set up for pressure injury, especially on your coccyx and sacrum. This is made worse if you elevate the head of your bed more than 30 degrees.

(KLD)

I have used these mattresses (actually made by SpanAmerica) before for home care, and they are pretty good for a non-powered pressure reducing, preventive surface. Not sufficient pressure reduction for treatment of pressure injuries though. At one time they had some problems with leaks in the tubing connecting the air chambers, but I believe they got that problem resolved.

(KLD)
    How firm is this mattress?

Quote Originally Posted by swannyriver View Post
    How firm is this mattress?

It is pretty easy to transfer to/from, but it is not a hard mattress. That would negate it's pressure reducing properties. Of course the bed frame you use will make a difference too. With a spring bed deck, this can sag quite a bit. Best with a solid or slat/firm wire mesh deck.

(KLD)

It is pretty easy to transfer to/from, but it is not a hard mattress. That would negate it's pressure reducing properties. Of course the bed frame you use will make a difference too. With a spring bed deck, this can sag quite a bit. Best with a solid or slat/firm wire mesh deck.

(KLD)
    Joerns EC bed, firm wire. Thanks.

The more layers you put between yourself and the mattress, the less effective the pressure reduction. If you must use a Chux, use only one layer.

I also have concerns over your not turning at all, regardless of the surface you are sleeping on. You may get away with this when young, but as you get older, this is a set up for pressure injury, especially on your coccyx and sacrum. This is made worse if you elevate the head of your bed more than 30 degrees.

(KLD)
    Yes KLD, I also am concerned about me not turning at all, however I just don't have the caregivers available to help me turn at night. I currently use one of these mattress overlays called Purap, https://getpurap.com/purap-bedsore-mattress/ which has been very helpful, but I realize this that I am getting older and I am playing with fire sleeping on my back for a long time. Is there a mattress that you can recommend so that I can stay on my back 24/7 if need be?