Thread: Clinical trial tetraplegic

Very cool, but vague on results. It doesn't mention tetraplegic, but quadriplegics too...

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    Very cool, but vague on results. It doesn't mention tetraplegic, but quadriplegics too...

Tetraplegia = quadriplegia. The former is the preferred term internationally. Only in the USA was the term "quadriplegia" used widely, and it is being discouraged now as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Tetraplegia = quadriplegia. The former is the preferred term internationally. Only in the USA was the term "quadriplegia" used widely, and it is being discouraged now as well.

(KLD)
    I thought tetraplegics are walking quads. Makes sense quadriplegic would be discouraged because it sounds more severe!

tetraplegia is greek, quadriplegia is latin and greek, I guess they figured combining the languages was improper
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by FellowHawkeye View Post
    I thought tetraplegics are walking quads. Makes sense quadriplegic would be discouraged because it sounds more severe!
    Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    tetraplegia is greek, quadriplegia is latin and greek, I guess they figured combining the languages was improper
    Correct. Tetra = four, in Greek. Quad = four, in Latin. Plegia = paralysis or weakness, in Greek. Only Americans made the error of combining a Greek and Latin term. Para = two, in Greek, so the term paraplegia is still correct, and indeed has been used by many as a term to describe both paraplegia and tetraplegia in many parts of the world.

You may have mistaken the other Latin term, paresis (weakness), for plegia. That is also an old term (tetraparesis, quadriparesis) for incomplete injuries that is no longer properly used.
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.