Thread: Nitropaste

Nitropaste

Hi,

I just spoke to my Doctor about getting some nitropaste to keep at home in case of an AD episode but he has never heard of it.

Does anyone know what it's active ingredient is and if possible what it's brand names are, especially for South Africa?

Thanks.

Nitroglycerine is the primary ingredient. I am very surprised your physician has not heard of this. Nitroglycerine paste or ointment has been used for treatment of angina (heart pain) for many, many years, all over the world. It's use for AD management is an off-label use. The form available (by prescription only) in the USA includes the most popular brand, Nitro-Bid, which is 2% nitroglycerine. It is also available as a hemorrhoid treatment in 0.2 or 0.3% concentrations, but these most likely would not be effective for management of AD.

Talk to your pharmacist about whether or not there is a distributor, manufacturer, or other vendor in South Africa. If so, put your physician in touch with your pharmacist. Here is some information to get started with: https://www.pharmacompass.com/ndc-0168-0326-08

It is also listed in the Clinical Practice Guideline about AD management from the Consortium of Spinal Cord Medicine. You may want to download this and share with your physician: https://pva-cdnendpoint.azureedge.ne...ysreflexia.pdf

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks a bunch. He did mention some sprays and tablets but I am a little wary of those.

Yes, those can also be used, but don't have the advantage of being able to stop use (by wiping off the ointment) once your AD signs/symptoms go away.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Thanks KLD, yes that is exactly what I said to my Dr - I explained that to him. I'm going to drop him a message and go see my local pharmacist with the info that you have supplied.

Appreciate all the help.