Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man paralyzed from the neck down walks again thanks to a new medical innovation

I can remember the Doctors coming in everyday at the U of M and said if I could move my toes in 2 weeks I would walk again. That was over 44 years ago. After 2 weeks Doctors said I never walk again. I had a 2 inch bruise of my spinal cord at T12. He said if it was only 1 and 1/2 inch I would walk again. I got so many different answers in 1975. I really think after 6 mouths it is what it is. Forgot to mention I was Asia A. Asia C on down I could see more recovery.
    Last edited by Art454; 11-28-2019 at 10:02 PM.
    Art

So, this appears to be for someone with an acute injury, 1 yr or less, correct? Were these MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells) that were used in the surgery? Because I was under the impression they were not that effective in lab rats.

Is there any researcher who tried combining different types of stem cells? Any contraindication for giving all these cells people are talking about at the same time?

One thing that definitely sucks about SCI are the number of articles friends send with the latest cures.
    They must be like "man, that Mize is a lazy spit! I keep sending him the cures but he doesn't do them!"
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    One thing that definitely sucks about SCI are the number of articles friends send with the latest cures.
    They must be like "man, that Mize is a lazy spit! I keep sending him the cures but he doesn't do them!"

Hah
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

This is the problem. Imagine your a rich person looking to make a charitable contribution to a cause. You see a story like this and think they already found a cure and decide to donate your money to a different cause.

Blog Entries
    Yep. You just gotta want it bad enough. Didnt you get the memo?!?! Grit and determination are all it takes!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Yep. You just gotta want it bad enough. Didnt you get the memo?!?! Grit and determination are all it takes!
    Either that or nine years of gabapentin, right?

Blog Entries
    I hadn't heard that one yet. Wow, I need to get on that.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

You're slipping!
    Just last week researchers at USC published a study linking a 30% improvement in forelimb recovery after SCI by way of long-term gabapentin usage.
    That's right, mice given gabapentin for 4 months after SCI (equivalent of 9 years to a human - who knew?) regained more "hand" function. Apparently they could grasp but their cursive still sucked.