Thread: Mattress causing redness

Question Mattress causing redness

Is it ok if the mattress is causing a redness that will go away after 1 or two minutes? or it should not cause redness at all?

(redness on bony areas)*

Need to know much more information.

What mattress?
    After being positioned there for how long?
    Does the red area blanch?
    What bony areas?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

mattress: tempurpedic (prima teal, medium soft)
    positioned for 20 minutes
    red area blanch? yes
    bony areas: coccyx and hip sides

Redness like this is telling you that this is an area at risk. Are you sitting up in bed when this occurs, or laying flat (supine), or both? How often do you turn routinely?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Don’t be so paranoid. Unless it does not blanch and does not go away it is ok. I am sure almost everybody with SCI develops such red spots on bony areas. I tend to get red spots on my ribs from sleeping on my side. Are these areas at risk? I’m th12. Ridiculous.

Thank you very much KLD for the hint and for the followup.
    yes in both positions. but what is worrying me more are supine position and lateral position. i try to turn every two hours, but if I miss a turn for like 5 or 6 hours then what could happen!!! This is why im
    worried about this especially that I just changed my mattress. And this is happening with the new mattress! Today, I went to the store and I just tested a latex mattress and it didnt do redness in supine position. I will go again and do other tests.

K_Soze, thank you for making things easy, it helped, but i wished you stopped at that point and didnt continue and let every one know that you’re ridiculous, keep that for urself.

If you bought a brand-name Tempurpedic, I believe they offer a 30 day return policy. While many people find that they get good pressure reduction with memory foam, they do have the disadvantage of keeping the skin surface warmer, which increases the oxygen demand of the tissues, and can make the areas on the mattress more vulnerable to pressure injury. Also, many people find that they make turning difficult.

No matter what mattress you are on, not turning for 6 hours can make you vulnerable to pressure injuries, especially if you have the head of the bed raised over 30 degrees.

(KLD)

I've had less luck with Tempurpedic than, say, 7 years ago. I am not sure whether this is because Tempurpedic changed or I have though.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    I've had less luck with Tempurpedic than, say, 7 years ago. I am not sure whether this is because Tempurpedic changed or I have though.
    Most likely you. Your skin becomes less tolerant for sustained pressure as you age.

(KLD)