Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should i kill Pseudomonas or leave it be?

Was this specimen collected by catheterization, or voided? If the latter, did you take the specimen from your leg or bedside bag?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hi KLD, the specimen was catherization. They usually won't accept a bag sample.

But switching gears...despite my BUN/Creatine levels being normal i do think i'm showing symptoms of Kidney problems so i'm going make a follow up appointment to look at that closer.

I have several symptoms on this list from this link...
    https://www.kidney.org/news/ekidney/...Kidney_Disease

- I have noticed very dry skin and some itchiness which i originally dismissed as possible Anit Biotic side affects.
    - Traces of blood in urine (dip stick tests indicated this...i did not see any)
    - Left foot has been swelling a little more than usual, intermittently. Under control now but has been happening intermittently.
    - And muscles have been cramping too...didn't know until i read about symptoms that this could be kidney related.

Another thing of note is:

those with kidney disease tend not to experience symptoms until the very late stages, when the kidneys are failing or when there are large amounts of protein in the urine. This is one of the reasons why only 10% of people with chronic kidney disease know that they have it,? says Dr. Joseph Vassalotti, Chief Medical Officer at the National Kidney Foundation.

• You're more tired, have less energy or are having trouble concentrating. A severe decrease in kidney function can lead to a buildup of toxins and impurities in the blood. This can cause people to feel tired, weak and can make it hard to concentrate. Another complication of kidney disease is anemia, which can cause weakness and fatigue.
    • You're having trouble sleeping. When the kidneys aren't filtering properly, toxins stay in the blood rather than leaving the body through the urine. This can make it difficult to sleep. There is also a link between obesity and chronic kidney disease, and sleep apnea is more common in those with chronic kidney disease, compared with the general population.
    • You have dry and itchy skin. Healthy kidneys do many important jobs. They remove wastes and extra fluid from your body, help make red blood cells, help keep bones strong and work to maintain the right amount of minerals in your blood.Dry and itchy skin can be a sign of the mineral and bone disease that often accompanies advanced kidney disease, when the kidneys are no longer able to keep the right balance of minerals and nutrients in your blood.
    • You feel the need to urinate more often. If you feel the need to urinate more often, especially at night, this can be a sign of kidney disease. When the kidneys filters are damaged, it can cause an increase in the urge to urinate. Sometimes this can also be a sign of a urinary infection or enlarged prostate in men.
    • You see blood in your urine. Healthy kidneys typically keep the blood cells in the body when filtering wastes from the blood to create urine, but when the kidney's filters have been damaged, these blood cells can start to "leak" out into the urine. In addition to signaling kidney disease, blood in the urine can be indicative of tumors, kidney stones or an infection.
    • Your urine is foamy. Excessive bubbles in the urine ? especially those that require you to flush several times before they go away?indicate protein in the urine. This foam may look like the foam you see when scrambling eggs, as the common protein found in urine, albumin, is the same protein that is found in eggs.
    • You're experiencing persistent puffiness around your eyes. Protein in the urine is an early sign that the kidneys? filters have been damaged, allowing protein to leak into the urine. This puffiness around your eyes can be due to the fact that your kidneys are leaking a large amount of protein in the urine, rather than keeping it in the body.
    • Your ankles and feet are swollen. Decreased kidney function can lead to sodium retention, causing swelling in your feet and ankles. Swelling in the lower extremities can also be a sign of heart disease, liver disease and chronic leg vein problems.
    • You have a poor appetite. This is a very general symptom, but a buildup of toxins resulting from reduced kidney function can be one of the causes.
    • Your muscles are cramping. Electrolyte imbalances can result from impaired kidney function. For example, low calcium levels and poorly controlled phosphorus may contribute to muscle cramping.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy1981 View Post
    The Fosfomycin (Monural) therapy they prescribed was to drink once every 3 days (it's a powder for others that might read this), 4 doses for a total of 12 days. I wonder if the cadence SHOULD have been every 2 days having read your post? I noticed my urine symptoms would clear up day 2 then return on day 3!
    Did you follow these directions when taking it?

MONUROL should be taken orally. Pour the entire contents of a single-dose sachet of MONUROL into 3 to 4 ounces of water (? cup) and stir to dissolve. Do not use hot water. MONUROL should be taken immediately after dissolving in water.

Cripsy, do you have a annual 24 hour urine collection for creatinine clearance? That is a much better test for overall kidney function than a simple creatinine level on a urinalysis. You must collect every drop of urine for 24 hours, then have a blood test during that 24 hour period as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Cripsy, do you have a annual 24 hour urine collection for creatinine clearance? That is a much better test for overall kidney function than a simple creatinine level on a urinalysis. You must collect every drop of urine for 24 hours, then have a blood test during that 24 hour period as well.

(KLD)
    Hm, i will ask. Never heard of this before and not sure i'm following. I did not know you can test urine for BUN/Creatinine levels. I thought that was only done via a blood test. But i can ask my urologist about this.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    Did you follow these directions when taking it?

MONUROL should be taken orally. Pour the entire contents of a single-dose sachet of MONUROL into 3 to 4 ounces of water (? cup) and stir to dissolve. Do not use hot water. MONUROL should be taken immediately after dissolving in water.
    Yes those were the instructions i followed and it seemed to help but on day 3 symptoms would typically return.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy1981 View Post
    Hm, i will ask. Never heard of this before and not sure i'm following. I did not know you can test urine for BUN/Creatinine levels. I thought that was only done via a blood test. But i can ask my urologist about this.

I should have said "better than a simple creatinine level on a BLOOD test", not urinalysis. Is is called a "creatinine clearance" test.

(KLD)

You have to ask the lab to check for Fosfomycin (and Minocycline ) sensitivity. It is amazing how many "IV antibiotics. only organisms are sensitive to one or both of these. Now our lab routinely tests it for all SCI and/or Urology specimens.

CWO