Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

Recently I've been having sudden sharp spasms in my abdominal region, seemingly more on my left side. I first noticed it when laying on my side for my routine, and with each deep breath, my midsection would spasm. Periodically throughout the routine I would experience sharp jolts. This has continued throughout the week. I have a doctor's appointment Monday with my PCP, however given the unfamiliarity with SCI, I can only imagine when explaining my issues what the explanation might be. I haven't noticed any noticeable swelling, bruising, or sores. No fevers. I had bladder/kidney workups within the past 6 months, with no issues. I was thinking of requesting a CT scan to check my abdominal area, but other thoughts I could discuss with my PCP? Thanks!

Hi there! I'm not sure if it's the same thing but I get similar spasms 2-3 times a year. They only last a few days, aren't painful as far as I can tell as a C4/5, but they're annoying as heck cuz they're strong enough to pull my arm. I usually get them on my right side, and if I stretch toward my left, it spasms in protest. I've also started experiencing symptoms similar to MS hug (like a band of pressure on my ribs that makes it uncomfortable to breathe normally) this year but they only last a few days too. I never checked it with a doc cuz I didn't have any other negative symptoms. I chalk it up to my nerves acting up.

Doesn't hurt to get a check up though. Hopefully it's nothing!

Diverticulitis is one of the most common causes
    "Yesterday's History,Tomorrow's a Mystery"

Spasticity that increases or occurs suddenly in a new area is unfortunately not specific to the same area that may be causing pain. This could be caused by pain anywhere in your body that is aggravated by the position or activity of bowel care. Do you have hemorrhoids perhaps? An abdominal ultrasound might be a good idea, and less risk for radiation exposure than a CT.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Quick update: Had an ultrasound yesterday, which found a lesion on my liver as well as a dilated duct on the outside of my liver. Alarming because my mother passed from liver cancer. I have an ultrasound scheduled for next week. Will likely foot the bill for a non-emergency ambulance transport so that I can be seen sooner at a facility that does not have staff to transfer me from my wheelchair.

I'm concerned about the ability to remain spasm free for the test. Should I take an extra dose of baclofen prior to my test?

Also concerned about pressure sores from lying on whatever surface there is for however long the test will take.