Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those that remember,

I was 10 years old and in the fifth grade. We had a great young teacher. It was obvious he was very upset but he kept calm.
    My parents were Irish Catholic Kennedy supporters and I recall my father watching a lot of the coverage in the days following...

I was in 8th grade at the office when news broke

I was in the 7th grade in a new school. All I remember of hearing the news is that it was announced in class ad that classes were adjourned. My clear memories are being in the hallway where everyone was astonished and frightened, particularly the teachers. I was astonished to see adults frightened. I spent the weekend with my mom and stepdad where we were all glued to the TV for 3 days, watching the news and then watching the service in NY on TV. Music by Benjamin Britten. Jacking had such good taste even in that moment. I was bored with most of the stuff on TV but there was nothing else to do and nothing moving in the city.

Compare that to today when society is so hardened. Dozens of children can be killed in a shooting and it is forgotten by tomorrow. We have to forget it or we could not continue. There was very little violence on TV at that point, other than shootouts in westerns with hilariously dramatic falls to the ground. Even though so many had been through WW2, or see the photos in books, that is totally different from seeing real or fake-but-realistic death on TV and in movies. I'm quite glad not to be a child in this era.

Thanks for the thread, Oldtimer.

I was in junior high study hall. The principal came in and told us all to go to our home rooms, where we received the news.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Tetracyclone View Post
    I was in the 7th grade in a new school. All I remember of hearing the news is that it was announced in class ad that classes were adjourned. My clear memories are being in the hallway where everyone was astonished and frightened, particularly the teachers. I was astonished to see adults frightened. I spent the weekend with my mom and stepdad where we were all glued to the TV for 3 days, watching the news and then watching the service in NY on TV. Music by Benjamin Britten. Jacking had such good taste even in that moment. I was bored with most of the stuff on TV but there was nothing else to do and nothing moving in the city.

Compare that to today when society is so hardened. Dozens of children can be killed in a shooting and it is forgotten by tomorrow. We have to forget it or we could not continue. There was very little violence on TV at that point, other than shootouts in westerns with hilariously dramatic falls to the ground. Even though so many had been through WW2, or see the photos in books, that is totally different from seeing real or fake-but-realistic death on TV and in movies. I'm quite glad not to be a child in this era.

Thanks for the thread, Oldtimer.
    The good ole days, when you went to the soda shop and from there to the sock hop. The rest of the night you could cruise the streets on a bucks worth of gas while listening to Fats Domino, Elvis, Connie Francis, The Everly Brothers and so many more. And then came service, if I remember right we started bombing in 64, I joined in 65, never made it to Vietnam as they needed troops in Guam to load B-52's for endless missions, work days of 24 hrs on and 24 off with standby on off time.

I couldn't agree more how life has changed in as little as 50+ years and pray for kids having to grow up in a world full of drugs, sex, violence, and cell phones. If I had to make the choice of growing up now or then, it would be back then for sure.
    From the time you were born till you ride in a hearse, there is nothing so bad that it couldn't be worse!

All fringe benifits must be authorized by Helen Waite, if you want your SCI fixed go to Helen Waite!

Why be politically correct when you can be right!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post

I couldn't agree more how life has changed in as little as 50+ years and pray for kids having to grow up in a world full of drugs, sex, violence, and cell phones. If I had to make the choice of growing up now or then, it would be back then for sure.
    Umm.. My circle did not lack for drugs nor sex. Violence and cell phones we missed, hough no doubt all of us would have thought cell phones too cool. Thankfully, without them we could learn to concentrate.